electrical question....& a painter reqd.

GubMan

After 2 years looking at a stray cable coming down behind a kitchen cabinet, herself made me do something last weekend. cable was ducted, live, neutral and a copper uncovered wire between, assumed it was the earth. Bought the transformer and undercabinet light, chased the cable back up over the press, wired her up 100% and nothing happened. Is the cable live back at the box or do I have another problem? I assumed the cable would work on the main kitchen switch but I'm told that might not be how its wired. Any ideas?

I'm also looking for a painter in the north Laois area, I've a fair bit to be done (35m2 double height room with ceiling to top of dormer, big kitchen, childrens playroom, hall stairs and landing to include ceilings to dormer roof, spare room downstairs and guest bathroom), can anyone recommend a reliable well priced option here? Lots of chancers about when I had the house undercoated over 2 years ago, I want a good job now but don't want it to cost the earth?? Thanks in advance.

Only two years? You're letting the side down a bit there.

The other end of your cable might be behind the kitchen light switch, you might have to change her for a two gang sw.
Or it might be behind a nearby socket, in which case you might have to fit a switch at the light if it doesn't have one on it.
Shouldn't be too difficult to find. Probably best to turn off the mains before you start looking.

If you get it working you should be alright for another couple of years anyway before you need the painter.

make sure your connections are right and tight.cables for under counter lights are usually left live,speaking from experience anyway.as one of the other lads has said just have quick look behind kitchen switch.another thing to check is that there may be a blanked off switch local to the area.

Spot on lads, never thought about checking behind the switch! obvious isn't it! No worries sparkeee, I make sure to knock off the power in advance and if i find anything dodge, I'll get a pro in.

no blanked off switches in the area boisey, but there's 3 seperate switches for the lights in that area, it might be in 1 in particular, i'll check tonight. the cables are 100%, i made sure they're 100%

sorry about letting the side down hoagy, i was waltzed around B&Q and woodies today so i'm under pressure on that score. Of course the lad might be busy and unable to come for 2 years, or will that one not work these days! ;-)

Electricity is not like plumbing or anything else within a home it can kill. Unless you are confident about what your doing leave it to someone who is.

You said it was ducted live,neutral and bare earth this cable sounds to me to be a Twin and Earth and possible of 2.5sq dia. (2.5sqT&E ). The only other T&E brought into a kitchen would be for the hob and it would be a 10sqT&E.

If it was left behind a kitchen cabinet it may have been put there for a oven or if up high an cooker hood. This cable should also be protected by a MCB and or a RCCB and may be part of a larger circut. If this cable is live it could be used as a socket which can power the lights.

If it is dead this cable could be just put in as a link down to the cooker connection and never wired in or the MCB could be switched off. Either way I think you should get someone experienced to look at it.