Electrical costs Self Build

R

rahman

Anybody be able to give me an idea of the costs for the electrical work for a 2700 sq ft house. Scope to include first & second fix. I want a fairly high spec lots of plugs, lights, 2 rooms wired for entertainement system, intruder alarm

Cost me 5k for a 3500 sq ft house. With the same spec as you mentioned.
House was completed in August.

Cost me 5k for a 3500 sq ft house. With the same spec as you mentioned.
House was completed in August.

Did that include chasing the walls and fixtures? In my experience there is a huge variation in the price of fixtures depending on the spec. Out of interest what is the overall build cost per square foot ( roughly) working out at these days?

4 bed house 2600 sq feet
Very high spec
first and second fix alarm
all in price €15600.00 for electrics.

so prices run from 5k to 15k !!!!! and 5k was for a bigger house !

Dormer bungalow fnished Oct 2005 - no alarm - but did tv and telephone and satellite in all rooms - cost 4k included basic light fittings and wiring for garage .

Just finished wiring my house which is 2000 sq/ft. Installed TV and Network point in every bedroom, multi-room audio wired, two rooms for 5.1 surround sound, alarm and ample sockets and lighting also 5 amp sockets in sitting room. Materials : 2950 Alarm 2nd fix : 1400

I did the work myself so can't give you a price for labour but would guess that
it would have cost 3500. Maybe I'm overpaying myself, I don't know.

My spec included ample sockets, five amps in all rooms as well.
ANy wall chasing was carried out as part of this.
Also a Stanley Brandon range which took a lot of time.

We supplied light fittings but electrician supplied everything else.

I thought 5k was quite a lot of money for a new house as there was not really that much time or work involved.

I could not give a price per 100Sq ft off the top of my head but could work it out.

Found that the internals soaked up the cash.

Just built a house 3000 sq ft , fairly high spec it came in at €16000.00 labour & materialson the wiring ( no fancylight fittings)

What is 5.1 surround sound?? Have you got all your entertainment systems (Sky, DVD player, CDs) all linked back to a central server

3500ft2 house, varly high spec, external lighting, spots in soffits, alarm, some 5amp connections, integrated with zoned heating system. €8,500 - includes all chasing, materials (chrome fittings in kitchen) and labour

You cannot budget a house for electrical installations based on square footage. Sit down and work out roughly how many sockets, lighting points, tv points, etc, that you want and then multiply that by about €40 per point. Add for an MCB Board about €200. Then add for your light fittings, Intruder ALarm Equipment and any other special items you might want. When you have your plan done find a good electrical contractor who is comfortable with your requirements and get a price of him. Try and get 3 prices as there can sometimes be a difference and remember cheapest is not always the best option. You will probably pay a bit more for a good contractor who will give a good after installation service and if everyone is happy he will probable have no hesitation in doing small jobs again for you. Electricity can kill you so its worth getting it done right.