Electrical cable to shed

Brik

Hi,
I am laying a patio and path to my shed and thought that while I had the ground dug up I would put in an electric cable.
I do not know what cable to use (we will need to run a light and tubmle dryer, for now), so I was going to get tubing and run a rope through it so an electrician can then pull through the correct cable at a later stage. Does this make sense and if so, what type of tubing should I use?
Finally, how deep does this have to be, 50cm?

Thanks!

If it's going under a patio it can be as deep as you like surely ?

Sure put the biggest pipe in that you think and then you have no troubles with whatever size cable the electrician wants to pull through later. Don't forget the rope !!!:)

hi brik.a two inch pipe it will be perfect and easy to pull the cable through. or if you go and buy the proper cable which is called "s.w.a" you don't need to put it in a pipe. if the cable is going under your patio all the way to ur shed, about 5 inches deep will do. if the cable is going under your lawn bury it about 10 inches deep. so the cable you need is 2.5 s.w.a [2.5 is the size] best of look

Just to let you know that the regs require ducting for cables that do not support vechicles to be 500 mm deap and if they do support heavy good vechicles 600mm is what is required. Also it is required you bed it in sand with warning tape positioned 100mm above the surface.

Also don't fall for the bare minimum/cheapest I can get away with trap.
But rather lay at least a 6 SQmm cable,thus allowing for a small DP/MCB unit in the shed for using dryer/washing machine/power tools/lighting etc all at the same time without having to worry about overload. Do it now while its easy so you don't regret it at a later stage.

A somewhat related question of sorts..

Any recommedations on how one straighten the 50mm red ducting that is commonly used for this purpose in order to lay it in a trench? As it is strong and stored/delivered in a coil it's natural position is to spring back into this coiled position if that makes sense. I've put a small bit of this stuff down before and its like wrestling with an anaconda :)

thks
cybermate

Ya, Bed it in sand and put a concrete block down every so often. Back fill gradually with sand while removing the blocks.

Back