Electrical appliance query

cunninghams

Hi, I am currently in the process of purchasing my kitchen/utility appliances (oven, fridge, washing machine, etc).

I have been quoted the following for Just my appliances

Whirlpool AKP201 single oven BK (A rated) €309
Whirlpool AKM613B/A Energy Rated Ceramic Hob €295
Whirlpool ART 471 FridgeFreezer (A Energy rated) €499
Whirlpool ADG 7460 Fully Integr dishwasher (A rated) €469
Whirlpool AWOD5306(1200, 6kg) A rated Washing Machine €409
Whirlpool AWZ3513 C Rated Energy drier €279
Whirlpool AMW410 Built in Microwave (A rated) €329

Can anybody advise me on the following:
1.Can you recommened best elecrtical provider in terms of price in the Roscommon town/Athlone town/Ballinasloe area
2.Do they normally knock off 10% when buying in bulk
3. Any thoughts on vented vs condensing drier and what should i be looking for in an oven(i have room for a single oven only)

Last edited by a moderator:
you will save the money back by not having a utility room continually destroyed by damp.
i dont think there is anywhere good in those towns. milestone,ganleys sell that kind of stuff but i doubt they are cheap. for a hundred euro you can rent a van and go get all the stuff elsewhere

A condensing dryer will use up to 1.5 times the electricity of a vented one.

But it is arguably more convenient, more 'location flexible' (in terms of plumbing etc) and much quieter - maybe faster cycle too?

Personally, the above considered, I'd put up with the power cost.

Hi XT40...where do you think i should go when you say elsewhere?

i would try dublin - currys,did,power city and also currys in the north
from athlone, you can get anywhere

Cunninghams & kildarebuild, is south Armagh too far?

There is a place near Culloville on the Dundalk to Castleblayney road - Watters Electrical. They seem to be cheap for a lot of appliances.
Probably worth a phone call anyway.

There is a place in Milltown, Co.Galway, called N17 Electrical Superstore. They have a huge showroom, and will give discounts. At one time they could not be beaten on price. I have no affiliation, nor have I been there in the last year, but I found them to be very good value and nice to boot.
( Milltown is about 10 miles on the Mayo side of Tuam )

Your choice of course, but I would steer well clear of Whirlpool. They're the brand most retailers try and sell you - but they're rubbish.

Buy cheap/buy twice..

As regards getting the best deal, I'd say get the phone book out and ring them all - and get them to quote you on the models you've decided on. Don't let them fudge things by getting sidetracked on other items and stick rigidly to the appliance models your getting quotes on from everybody.

We went for all Bosch.. Fridge/Freezer, double oven (with extra options - pull out rails etc), integrated micro, Hob 900mm, Integrated Dishwasher and Washing machine. all for 5500 and from powercity. By far offered the best discount

You should email Whirlpool and tell them that you are kitting out the house in Whirlpool and is there any special deal going. Say you love them and will name your house Whirlpool or even change your name to Whirlpool for the right price.

Smileys not available on AAM but there would be a big one here with a wink possibly.

Purchased an Electrolux Condensor Drier only this morning. Seems to be a new offer starting where there is a 5yr warranty on them - labour also IIRC. Shop only had poster on this deal, they have to get registration forms in. I was buying this model anyway but will ensure I register for the 5yr warranty.

Electrolux = Zanussi = Tricity Bendix (all same company)

Did some research on driers and decided to go with one from the Electrolux family.They have a 7kg Condensor and similar 7kg Vented drier. Energy Consumption Comparison according to their site:

Condensor Annual : 278.5 PerHour: 3.92
Vented Annual : 263.1 PerHour: 3.9

So according to their calculations you'd save 15.4 units of Electricity in the year with the Vented = 3euro'ish.

The vented driers are typically cheaper. If you can vent them out through an external wall they're probably better than the condensor. The latter has the advantage that it can be positioned anywhere.

We had a Zanussi for 6 years before that. Worked fine but button to open door got stuck recently. We considering a repair but cost of service + parts + consideration on age of machine made us decide to retire it. We decided (as an economic test) to purchase a cheaper make of drier (part of another wide family of brands) and it lasted 3 weeks before it started tripping the electricity in our house. I returned it for a refund. Result of our "economic test" seems to suggest that you get what you pay for.

11 smileys available in all. When you get the 'reply to thread' option do you not get the option of using smileys on the top line?

Yipee, Now that you mentioned it, I had a look in CP options and I was set to use basic editor. There's no going back now.

Back to thread. Condenser v vented. Went from using Hotpoint condenser taking anything around an hour to dry a normal cotton wash spun at 1400 to a Miele vented dryer drying the same sort of washes in 35 minutes. Payback on the Miele will probably be years but they do have the 5 year parts and labour guarantee.

Single oven. Spend the few extra quid for the multifunction oven. The extra functions allow far more control over cooking.