Electric water heating tank-free

LadyJane

We recently bought an old house with a small hot water tank that is not big enough for our needs. We have thought about replacing it with a larger tank when my husband ran across this:
[broken link removed]

It is basically an electric hot water heater that heats the water as you need it, kind of like an electric shower. We would be using this for baths, showers and general hot water usage. There is no tank required as there is no hot water stored.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I seems like a good option for us. We plan on completely overhauling the heating (of water and our house in general) by getting a geothermal heat pump in the next 5-6 years, but can't afford it right now. All I wan is a bath without having to boil 6 kettles to add to what little our hot water heater puts out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Had a quick read of the link, not enough information to base opinion, check out http://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/ for more details. I don't know where you live I.E if you have a town supply water main or a private pump. My one concern would be incoming water pressure. the unit needs a flow rate of 2.2l per minute to fuction properly. You would need to know if your mains pressure is strong enough to have a decent shower etc.

Another option is to replace your existing hot water cylinder with a bigger one, be it copper or stainless steel. Because you will need to get one of these anyway with geo so if you get one now it will save you getting one in a few years.

the link states the unit is about €450, you would get a fine big cylinder for that. Another thing to consider is how much it costs to run and the fact that it is an american based company, Have they suppiers here if something goes wrong?.

If you feel you really want an electric heater there are plenty avalible on the Irish market that would suit your needs providing you have the mains pressure.