electric underfloor heating problem

B

busy girl

hi there,

i've checked the Key Post on UFH and no joy so hope someone can help..

we have laid an UFH mat in our bathroom and tiled over it. the mat was too big for the area so we wanted to distribute the excess evenly around the floor area.

however, it has now been positioned so that the the excess is all under one single tile which is quite near the temp sensor.

the problem now is that this one tile is way way hotter than the rest. this is somewhat obvious to me due to the concentration of wires under it, but on the other hand, should the current in the electric wire not be heating the whole floor equally rather than "accumulating" under one tile? i'm confused.... and stuck with one hot tile and the rest are barely luke warm!

does anyone have any advice on how to rectify this without the painful solution of pulling up the offending tile and the surrounding tiles to redistribute the heating wire?

here's hoping...
thanks
busy girl.

Heat mat is rated at so much heat per meter length of wire . Therefore more mat under one tile equals more heat on that tile.

You will be unable to lift some tiles without damaging the mat under it.

If you relocate the probe to another area then the rest of the floor will come up to heat but the tile with the extra mat under it will over heat and crack.

Also one tile over temp is a safety hazard ie walking on this tile may burn your feet.

Only long term solution is to rip up the tiles and mat and fit new mat and new tiled.