Electric Showers stops for no reason

DeeDee100

Hi everyone, Hoping you can help me out. My electric shower keeps stopping for no apparent reason. It's pretty sporadic - might stop after 3 mins/5mins and then maybe not at all. My house was built in 2004 and the shower came with it so it's not old. It's a Triton 90i model. Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong?

We had a similar problem with an electric shower in the attic, it turned out that the mains water pressure was too low to supply water to the shower this high up.

When you say the shower is stopping.....
Does it trip out, do you have to reset an MCB at the board?
Does the pump switch off but there is still power to the unit?

Hi JMR,
If I wait a minute or 2 sometimes I can switch it back on. I can hear gurgling coming from the hotpress behind the shower (or maybe overhead) and a few minutes after that stops I can usually switch it back on.

I'm not 100% clear on your description of the symptoms but it sounds like the pump is tripping due to low pressure on the feed into it.
If the pump is starved of water it will trip out.
The gurgling noise you describe is a head building up again on the supply side of the pump which again allows it to run for a short period before tripping again.
My advice, as obvious as it may sound would be to call a plumber.
I don't think you are going to fix it yourself no matter what advice you get here.
Best of luck

Thought I'd give it a try anyway. Actually one more quick question on the matter......should I call the builders to take a look? I only moved into the house in Oct 2005

Check the hose connecting the shower head to the unit on the wall to ensure that there is no tangle. Sometimes when the outer part of the hose starts to loosen the inner part can get twisted. this happened to me and the shower just would'nt work.

Also, the T90i shower is fed from the water tank as opposed to mains pressure. These are used when the mains pressure is not strong enough.

What could be happening is that while you are having a shower, someone else is using water from the tank, either via a tap or flushing the toilet. The tank drains and the shower shuts down. When the tank fills again (that could be the noise you are hearing) the shower is OK again.

On the water feed into the shower is there a filter ? My elite 2 was giving the same trouble and i cleaned the filter and sorted.

on the topic of showers, out triton T90si is going through a phase of going freezing cold or scalding hot... what causes this... lime? how do i solve it?

on the topic of showers, out triton T90si is going through a phase of going freezing cold or scalding hot... what causes this... lime? how do i solve it?

Caused by faulty pump.
If pump can't deliver water quickly enough through heating element then the water picks up greater heat transfer - scalding hot water, heating element overheats and trips - freezing cold water

Solution - new pump or maybe just new carbon brushes on the motor