Electric or Gas Fire?

S

SweeneyTodd

I'm just about to start construction of my house extension which will include a new living room. I want to include in the living room an electric or gas fire set into the wall which is can be controlled remotely. You know the type, something like this one.

Thing is I was wondering which is the better option Electic or Gas ? What are the differences on initial cost, ongoing running costs (I'd imagine the gas option would be a little cheaper) and heat output. The room is approx 20M2 with one radiator. Any advice on this one lads ??

Re: Electric or Gas Fire ????

Gas should be cheaper to run and quieter. An electric version would be no more than a standard blow heater with a large fancy frame. BTW most of those heaters give out f*** all heat and are just for show.

I would have always said gas but some of the new electric models look really good. If you have central heating the heat from the fire may not be critical. Its more a focal point for the room. With electric you can set it to flame effect only and use very little power. The new dimplex models look like flat screen TVs and really look high class....pricey though up to €1,000.

BTW most of those heaters give out f*** all heat and are just for show.

I'm reading output figures of between 3 & 4 Kw. What does you traditional open gas fire put out ?