Electric meter concerns

HouseHunter

I posted a while back about a very high elect bill (238 for 1 month). I recently discovered something very strange about the meters in our building. We live in a block of 5 apartments, on the ground floor. In the main hallway is a cabinet with all of the electric meters for the building. There are five apartments and five meters. We all have electric storage heating. However, there are only 2 apartments occupied, us and the guy we bought the place off.

When I checked the meters last night I discovered that our neighbour has only one meter (for night) but no day meter. This was about 9pm and we only had one light on and the tv (and fridge). However, our night meter was turning quickly, quicker than our neighbours. There are also a number of communal areas with lighting and electric sockets etc

How can our neighbour have only one meter?
Which meter are the communal areas hooked up to?

Can anyone provide a professional opinion on this?

Normally in apartments you will have dual tariff meters, with a day scale and a night scale. This is for space reasons as much as anything else.
It is unlikely that you have a night meter, but not impossible. You can tell from your ESB bill. If the word Nightsaver appears on it, then you have only one meter.
There should be a landlord's meter for the common areas, it will probably be a single tariff meter.
If you ring the ESB with your MPRN which is on your bill, they can tell you the serial number of your meter. I'm not sure which ESB to ring these days, I think it is probably Networks.

Have come across this problem with a new build apartment. It turned out that the meter boxes were incorrectly marked (MPRN nos etc). We were in fact being billed for the apartment next door that must have had constant appliances, heat etc on at all times. Contacted builders, electrician and they got a guy from the ESB to call out within a week and confirm that the meters were wrong but it took another 4 months of calls, refusals to pay any bills etc before the ESB would actually accept that there was a problem with the meters and do anything about it and they still refused to accept any responsbility for it! It cost us loads and tenants moved out because of the high ESB costs.

You say you have 5 app and 5 meters is that correct? We have an app and have two meters, Night and day, But if you do only have one meter your bill isn't that high, Bearing in mind its your elec and heating all in the one, If you turn down the storage heaters by 1 in all the room's you will see a difference, We only use two of the storage heaters in out app and the amout of units its used is huge and the only thing that helps us is the fact its on the night meter, Best thing to do would be go down to the meter and read what it says at 11.59pm and when 12.01 comes and the rads start working go down and see what speed there doing, then go down in the morn a little after 8am and take a reading and you'll see the power there using. The communal power should be placed usually outside the building so the esb man can check it easier than your own one. Do ye have a management company and yearly fees?

Back