Electric fence interfering with phone line - solution?

Caveat

Hi

Maybe this should be in the IT forum...

Anyway, after about a month of general hilarity with Eircom it has now been confirmed, with certainty, that a nearby electric fence is causing a clicking on my phone line (which I can live with) but is also preventing me from using dial-up internet connection.

Has anyone any ideas how this interference can be prevented/minimised?

(BTW, can't get broadband and not willing to pay for Wireless BB)

Had some responses re this in another thread but would welcome any feedback - can't expect farmer to simply turn off the fence permanently (is off at the minute, under the advice of Eircom tech.)

Anyone know anything about this?

There's something here that suggests there could be a fault in the fence as it says the EMI should only be given off when the fence is shorting.

There are also http://www.amazon.com/Noise-Filter-RJ-14-Two-Line/dp/tech-data/B00029UARC/ref=de_a_smtd?ie=UTF8&qid=1195248367&sr=1-9 (filters) available which would reduce the noise at your end and may stop your modem dropping. What it would do for the ISP end, I don't know. It may be that they are already filtered? It also may be that the filters don't take account of modem noise and remove it too!

Another solution would be to find a badger with bovine TB and fling it at the cows any time they come near. Once they have TB they'll be locked up for months! (Joke!).

Thanks YM

So, the possibility of fence shorting - I presume every section of the fence would need to be fairly thoroughly checked to see if this is the problem - or is there an easy way?

And If the fencing is shorting and this is the problem, is there an onus on the owner to repair/maintain as it interferes with the line? I wonder where Eircom stand on this - e.g. improperly maintained constructions interfering with the national phone network - or something.

Anyone know how easy it would be or how much it would cost (if necessary) to verify whether or not the fence is shorting - and to fix it?

A mains fence needs to be earthed correctly, if it isn't it may contribute to your problem. Most fences are not earthed sufficently, also the earth needs to be at least 10 M away from buildings.

Also you could turn the fence on and walk the line of wire to see if you can find an area where the wire is shorting (sparking).

Have a look at this brochure "Is an electric fence causing a problem with your phone line or internet connection?"

http://www.gallagher.co.nz/downloads.aspx

I could have sworn eircom provided filters for your phone in a situation like this. I don't know how successful they are but I definitely remember seeing them on a list of products eircom bought. They mightn't have been for electric fences though. I remember seeing one called Atlantic 252 filter. It was for interference from Atlantic 252 radio station. Probably obsolete now but surely they have a better solution than telling the farmer to turn off the fence.

I used to hate that when you called out NTL for bad reception and they told you a baby monitor in the area was interferring with it and then drive off having done nothing to help.