Elderly emigrants returning - How to get a house?

RainyDay

A good friend posed the following problem to me;

My parents (both early 60's) are thinking about returning to Ireland and wexford in particular. They lived here in the 70's & 80's before moving to the UK and more recently New Zealand.

Once they sell their house In NZ they should have about €85k €90k. They'll also have about another €10k cash and they have some endowment policies in the UK relating to an old mortgage they had there. The endowments mature in about 5 years time and would total about £35k (sterling) but if they cashed them in now they'd only get about £20k max.
He asked me a series of questions, so I've detailed his questions, my answers and a couple of other ideas I suggested below. Any additional wise suggestions from the AAM community would be very welcome.

Would they be entitled to any grants as returning residents or first time buyers (believe it not they've never actually owned a house in Ireland!!!)??

The only benefit for first-time buyers is that they would be exempt from stamp duty, but as they would almost certainly be buying a smallish property, that’s probably not an issue. The first-time buyers grant was eliminated a few years ago, but it was fairly small anyway.

Would their endownment policies (prudential, freinds provident and phoenix) be recognised in Ireland and could they use them as collateral in buying a house.

Both Prudential & Friends would be well recognised over here. I haven’t come across Phoenix before. There is a fair chance that they could assign the policies to the lender and borrow the money up-front. There are also companies here & in the UK who would buy the endowment policy from them, probably from a price somewhere above the cashing in price.

If they needed to get a mortgage (at 62 -mum and 60 -dad) what would their chances be??

The general rule is that they would to be able to repay anything they borrow by age 70. So that doesn’t give them a whole lot of time or borrowing capacity. They would also have a problem convincing a lender that they will have steady income to cover repayments. Lenders also don’t like people on probationary periods. Unless they were to come over and rent for a while until they get decent jobs.

Any information on council part buy/part rent schemes.

Most councils have both affordable housing (whereby the council retains ownership of the land, while the buyer buys the building) and shared ownership (whereby the council buy a portion of the property, and the buyer buys out the council after a few years). I don’t think the shared ownership will be much help, as they probably won’t be in a position to buy out the council. The affordable housing may be an option, though I’d say there would be a lot of competition from young couples. I’m not sure who would get priority – see for details of Wexford’s affordable housing scheme.

They're keen in Wexford but whats the cheapest part of the country to live in???

Wexford is probably a bit too close to Dublin to be cheap. The cheapest areas are probably further west, say Leitrim, parts of Mayo or Sligo. There are decent properties going for €150k, but in VERY rural locations. For example, see [broken link removed]. To be honest, if your folks have always lived in towns, they might well find it hard to adjust to a rural environment. As they get older, it is likely to be more a problem when you think about health issues, travelling to work etc.

If wexford whats the job situations like??
Unemployment here is at the lowest levels for years – somewhere around 3% to 4%. Every shop, coffee bar & pub is full of Chinese or Eastern European staff, as Irish people have given up on such low-level demeaning jobs. [I am being sarcastic here, just in case you didn’t pick that up]. However, quality of job could be a problem. If they get near a town, I’d have no doubt that they could get some job, but it may not be too pleasant or too rewarding. The manufacturing sector here is gradually shrinking, as jobs get relocated to Eastern Europe or China. Even if your Dad were to get decent factory work, there would be a fair risk of this evaporating over time.

OK, so here’s my 2 other possible options;

How about renting instead of buying? They could rent a decent 2-bed or maybe 3-bed property in Wexford for €700 per month. Their €100k capital would last them about 10 years on that basis, assuming they would invest parts of their capital to keep up with inflation. Their UK endowment properties could yield €50k, giving them another 5 years. After that, they would probably be in trouble – and would be basically throwing themselves into the arms of the state at that stage. It’s a fairly high-risk strategy, but if it gave them 15 happy years in Ireland, it might be worth the risk.

Is there anyone in the family who could support them by buying perhaps 50% of the property for them & let them live there rent free for the rest of their lives. In return, the generous donor could take back 100% of the property when your folks eventually pass on.

Possible solutions

Find employment that provides accommodation (ie care taking work)

Buy and live in a mobile home on a caravan site.

Try to get local housing authority to provide accommodation.

I knew a middle-aged couple who returned to Ireland from Australia after 20 years who made a good life for themselves caretaking/managing a Youth Hostel in a rural location. I'd follow this option myself were I not single. Presumably they contact An Oige for information on how this kind of franchise works.

RainyDay said:
Would they be entitled to any grants as returning residents or first time buyers (believe it not they've never actually owned a house in Ireland!!!)??

The only benefit for first-time buyers is that they would be exempt from stamp duty, but as they would almost certainly be buying a smallish property, that’s probably not an issue. The first-time buyers grant was eliminated a few years ago, but it was fairly small anyway.

I thought that once you buy a house anywhere in the world you lose your first time buyer status?

CCOVICH is correct as can be seen on this leaflet

[broken link removed]

The co-purchasing with a family member, if possible would be a good solution.

I have heard that when your friends parents are over 65 years and they have nowhere else to live they would have a very good chance of being housed through the local council. This is the case in the Dublin region anyway. A relative of mine was informed of this by a councilor. I don't know if it's true or not.

Perhaps they could rent until their retirement,register with the local council and hope that the retirement accomodation provided by the council is adequate.

There was also some talk on the TV a couple of years ago about helping emmigrants (UK in particular) to get to Ireland for there retirement rather than wasting away in bedsits alone in foreign countries. i'm not sure what organisations (government or non-government), if any, were set up to assist emmigrants to return home. Perhaps someone out there might know?

If they are an elderly couple then stay where you are Ireland is not a good place for you if you do not have lots of money. My sister moved back from the UK in the 70's with her husband and children her husband worked and retired on a good pension. When her husband died in about 3 years ago, my sister shortly after that had a bad car accident and could not cope with on her own. She asked for held with home improvement but the council would not help her. She gets about €200.00 euro per week pension which is not much now adays in Ireland My sister could not cope on her own and ended up in hospital for six months. There is no help for the elderly in Ireland therefore id you do not have lots of money you may forget retiring there. The cost of housing is out of reach of the average person and people there have got so greedy they will not be bother with you if you if you do not own a car regardless whether you can drive or not. This is especially for people who are moving back from other courtiers you will feel isolated. Ireland and the people are not the same place as when I left it in 1960. It was a very poor place then but the people were very nice and were will help to each other but that has gone now only money talk there now.

I was wondering what exactly are the much-publicised services and attention to needs of older adults which have been making newspaper headlines for the last 10 years? Is this more an aspiration than a reality? Recently an elderly couple on the bus on which I was returning from work asked directions. Recognising Irish accents we 'set to' as Irish abroad always do, to establish our respective provinance. They had been living in the UK all their working lives and returned to Ireland (Wicklow) on retirement a few years ago. As I'm thinking of doing the same in a couple of years time I eagerly asked how they were finding things. I was not reassured to hear that apart from free public transport on their OAP passes they felt in general their quality of life was lower and even on their (very good) joint pensions and they had sold a valuable house here which paid for an apartment in Ireland they "had to be careful" money-wise. They said "It's all big new estates now. It's all different. Nobody wants to know. You'd be afraid of anything happening".

Back