Eirgrid ads- a waste of time and money

Peanuts20

Eirgrid are a state owned company with a monopoly on managing the electricity grid across Ireland. Electricity suppliers have no choice but to use them is my understanding (and someone please correct me if I am wrong). So why are they spending thousands of euros on radio ads which as basically saying "we're brilliant and investing for the future".? Is it not a waste of money, money that could be passed back through the chain to customers to reduce our charges. ?

Console yourself with the fact that the average wage there is nearly €100k a year so the adverts are only a drop in the ocean of the money they waste.

Have you no shame?
Do you want to put somebody's nephew \ husband \ girlfriend \ etc who was given a handy job in EirGrid's morketing department out of work?

I must say I thought the same thing. We're in Q4 now though so perhaps they have "use it or lose it" budgets to spend...

Those ads were made at the start of this year. I was part of a focus group that was shown this back in March.
None of the 10 of us there were able to say exactly what eirgrid did....I thought that perhaps it was a new name for esb networks!

And no, none of us could figure out why they were advertising themselves either!

This cropped up a few years ago when they spent something like €600k on a similar ad. I believe their justification was that it raised their profile and they were of the belief it helped in some way when talking to landowners about access for grid improvement works.

Back