Eircom

car

Ordered a phone for the new (secondhand) gaff 3 weeks ago. Got the new line number off eircom. Was told it'd be working in 24 hours as there had been a line in there already. 3 days later still no line working. Rang eircom, they'll get an engineer out in 2 days. 2 days later no engineer, so rang them back. Was told it'll be 28 days as its a new line problem and thats the lead time. I exchanged words. Was told theyd make it urgent. Last monday and thursday, I rang again for progress, still no update but they have my contact number (mobile ) to contact when an engineer is going to call out.
Met the next door neighbour this morning who said an eircom engineer had been sitting in a van outside my house on 3 occasions last week for at least a half hour each time after repeated knocks on my door.

Rang Eircom this morning. Gave them the number theyd assigned me and was told that number couldnt be assigned for some tech reason so theyd given me a new number last week (which they hadnt told me about). That new number had failed an initial line test hence (accord. to the sales guy) the possible reason the engineer was out last week but he had no record of it so couldnt confirm. Whats your contact details so we can ring you when the engineer is next out? You have them already. So we do. When can the engineer come back out again? 28 days. lovely.

Wheres that icon with the steam coming out of the ears? And does someone know someone I can complain to in Eircom and will it do any good if I did. I get the feeling it wouldnt.

car said:
Wheres that icon with the steam coming out of the ears? And does someone know someone I can complain to in Eircom and will it do any good if I did. I get the feeling it wouldnt.

On the Eircom.ie site, they have an official complaints procedure - you type in your complaint, it's assigned a number, they confirm that they're looking into it, and they'll get back to you.

My understanding is that now that this complaint has a number (rather than just something over the phone) that it must be dealt with satisfactorily within a fixed (and fairly short) period of time. Otherwise, Comreg will take an interest in the complaint.

I've done this twice, and had 28 days turned into less than a week to get problems sorted.

I'm quite surprised because a few months back I tried to reconnect an existing phone line through BT & through Periclo. The previous owners told me they were with BT but forgot to mention that they had changed to Perlico. The line was still active for receiving calls. After 1001 phone calls to both and promises that I'd be connected within 4 or 5 working days and nothing happening, I eventually had to get Perlico to disconnect the old phone number. Once that was done I rang Eircom at around lunchtime, who gave me a new phone number and the line was up and running when I got home that evening.

The first new number they assigned turned out to be unusable due to some incompatability with something. Thats probably whats causing the delay. The bit that annoyed me was that an engineer had been out last week ad they hadnt called me, Id still be waiting if I hadnt forced the issue with followup calls.

Good news. Got a call after lunch, an engineer is coming out tomorrow. I did have to make some behind the scenes prompting though through a third party.

Re: Eircom Airheads

Have had continual crackling on the line for the last 2 months,despite reporting it, nothing was done. Last Friday the phone went dead for both incoming and outgoing calls.
After waiting 20 minutes on 1901, they eventually answered to say that there was no record of the fault , despite me logging it both on line and 1901.
I said this was unacceptable , so they told me to ring 1800 400000 - sales serivices - Again, 10 minutes before they answered (Remember , this is Eircom answering the phone!) . They apologised for not answering promptly, checked my details and gave me two months free rental in line with their charter!

This afternoon I called again (another 15minutes before answering) and established that the engineer may be in the area tomorrow.

I shall hold my breath - wonder if it is anything to do with my being on UTV Clicksilver - at least my rental is not switched yet.

BTW my broadband is not affected - apparently it can 'jump' faults???

1901 is just dreadful. Ive found the quickest way to get someone is to say "sales enquiry" "no" to the do I have phone already and "home". never more then 2. No matter who you get on the phone, they'll deal with your query so it doesnt really matter what you say.

"Great youve come to the right place".

jasconius said:
BTW my broadband is not affected - apparently it can 'jump' faults???

The line is split into two lines at the local exchange. One line goes into the broadband access network.
The other line goes into the Public Switched Telephone Network. Tell them that the broadband is still working
as that points to it being a fault after where the line is split.

The technician will likely have to visit the exchange to fix it.

I had a similar problem recently. This is what happened and how I solved it.
Ordererd a new phone line, was told it would be free and that an engineer would be out in amximum of 2 weeks. 2 Weeks later, no sign, so I ring and get told it would be another few days. Rang again 1 week later to be told that it could take up to 28 days from that day. Registered an official complaint that same day and was told that somone would in contact within 2 working days. After 4 days I rang once a day, to be told that the customer care manager would call in the afternoon. After 7 days I rang twice a day and after 10 days I rang every hour. After 14 days the customer care manager sent an email saying that there might not be enough phonelines into the new estate. So it took them 5 weeks to tell me this. I went to the Eircom website and found their code of practice for complaints and also sent a query to ComReg. Both indicated that I could insist on the matter being looked into by the marketing executive. I rang Eircom again, to be toldd that they had never hear of such a request, so I read the code of practice out to them and after being on hold for 5 minutes was told that the escalation had been taken care of.
Sent an email to the customer care manager to tell them that I had asked for the case to be escalated and that I had contacted ComReg. 2 hours later I recieved a reply saying that someone would call out the following day. The following day a nice engineer came out, fixed the problem, activated the line and laughed when I told him that I had been told that maybe there weren't enough phone lines into the estate.
So, to get things done, escalate the matter according their code of practice and tell them that you contacted ComReg.

jasconius said:
This afternoon I called again (another 15minutes before answering) and established that the engineer may be in the area tomorrow.

I shall hold my breath - wonder if it is anything to do with my being on UTV Clicksilver - at least my rental is not switched yet.

Engineer called today, said that problem was on the road up to 81 metres away(how can they be that accurate) but could not fix it as the 81metres has to be recabled.
Has to get a machine to pull my line (plus new cable presumably) 81 metres to junction box. I await with baited breath. Mobiles costing us a fortune!

Back