Eircom wires pretty low!

puffin

I have checked through past threads to do with this problem and have not found any answers...Problem is the wires seem pretty low over where we are opening entrance for new site. I would imagine a truck or high vehicle would catch them. Would like to solve before they become bigger problem. I contacted Eircom and received an invoice stating there would be a charge of 280 euro to look at it? Surely if it's a H&S issue they wold look at it and fix for free? Am I being naive? It's so hard getting the right person to discuss this with, they gave me an email address the last time and that's when I got the invoice from Finance? Would really appreciate any help on the matter.

Umm, Eircom..... It would be faster to just let a truck pull them down, and much cheaper too.

Towger

Umm, Eircom..... It would be faster to just let a truck pull them down, and much cheaper too.

Towger

Not very helpful, Towger, albeit tongue-in-cheek - I think it would be a very dangerous option. !! I believe that, basically, if eircom were there first
ie. before an entrance was created / opened, then the "owner" must pay the cost as there would not be a problem if he did not "develop" the land.
However, if there was always an entrance there and landowner now wants to enter / exit with high loads etc., then that is a different matter ! eircom should raise the height of the cables at their own cost - there are min. height requirements imposed on esb, eircom etc at road crossings, entrances to property etc. etc.

I'd be inclined to agree with this. Can't imagine there would be too much current in phone lines, and the truck would have rubber tyres anyway.

I'd rather this than have to deal with eircom.

(Have you considered alternatives to an expensive landline)

Thanks for replies folks. Thing is ,there is an entrance to field beside our proposed entrance, so wonder what are the min. heights for wires above existing entrance? Do you not think 280 euro to look at job is not excessive? I'm willing to take photo and email...then they won't have to even leave the office!!

..... I contacted Eircom and received an invoice stating there would be a charge of 280 euro to look at it? Surely if it's a H&S issue they wold look at it and fix for free? Am I being naive? It's so hard getting the right person to discuss this with, they gave me an email address the last time and that's when I got the invoice from Finance? Would really appreciate any help on the matter.

Would the €280 be deducted from final cost of completing the job?
What makes it a H&S issue? - you taking away the boundary, then the H&S issue lies with you surely.

I'd be inclined to agree with this. Can't imagine there would be too much current in phone lines, and the truck would have rubber tyres anyway.

I'd rather this than have to deal with eircom.

(Have you considered alternatives to an expensive landline)

Sorry about previous post - clicked before i typed !

My reasons for advising that it would be dangerous to pull the wire down with a truck:
1. Someone could be injured by falling cables
2. Nearby poles could be de-stabilised and fall
3. This might not be an eircom line - it could be ESB
4.This is like advising someone to vandalise private property

Back