eircom wireless broadband users?

kfpg

How do you make it secure i.e. so the neighbours can't use your link?

on a slightly different subject, I was wondering is the fact that an Eircom Wireless Hotspot monthly subscription (in hotels, cafes and Eircom phoneboxes around the country) costs Eur12 a month if you are an Eircom Broadband subscriber, Eur30 if you are not an Eircom broadband subscriber but are an Eircom customer , and Eur60 a month if you're not an Eircom customer at all in any way an abuse of their position i.e that they have more phone boxes than anyone else etc - or are they perfectly entitled to do so ? I'm not griping, just curious what with all the regulations these days.

Eircom [broken link removed] their position? Surely not.Tip: If you go along to any open technical seminars where Eircom have a stand promoting their hotspots, you can pick up a couple of freebie scratch cards that will give you a code to let you go online for an hour or so. Havent tried them yet but managed to blag quite a few by talking to the reps and appearing interested.

Those 32mb key fobs are usually handed out as token goodies too.

I can't see any obvious reason why the charging structure above might be dodgy or how it might be evidence of eircom abusing their position.

ClubMan said:
I can't see any obvious reason why the charging structure above might be dodgy or how it might be evidence of eircom abusing their position.

I'll personally make 100% sure Eircom dont have any of my home phone details when using their hotspots off the laptop, scratchcards all the way for me.

The penalty for mistakes is too high, dont want to find out that my 'free hotspot' in the airport was actually charging by the hour ...... not afterwards nOOOOOOOOOO waaaayyy

I'm all for the scratchcard option - but at Eur10 an hour the price is ridiculous. Who in their right mind is going to pay 10 euro for an hour standing beside a phonebox in grafton street with their pda/laptop when they can sit down inside an internet cafe for 3 euro an hour or 1 euro for 20 minutes?

Worse still, the 60 minute card only lasts for one session - i could accept a higher charge if it would allow me connect on 6 different occasions for 10 minutes but the eircom cards self destruct after the hour in which they were activated.

I've used scratchcards in Europe and a 60 minute card (3 euro by the way!) lasts for 30 days up to a max 60 min usage. Surely Eircom could make a lot more money by encouraging the use of their hotspots in this way.

tonka said:
I'll personally make 100% sure Eircom dont have any of my home phone details when using their hotspots off the laptop, scratchcards all the way for me.

The penalty for mistakes is too high, dont want to find out that my 'free hotspot' in the airport was actually charging by the hour ...... not afterwards nOOOOOOOOOO waaaayyy

Not sure what that has to do with my comment above?

at €10 a hour I dont want to find out that I have somehow agreed to a binding postpaid option deep in the T&Cs somewhere, this Eircom we are on about here.

Still don't know what this has to do with my point about not seeing how there is anything to suggest that eircom are abusing their position here, in particular with the charging structure for different classes of customer mentioned above.

Is the Eircom wireless BB mentioned the normal eircom adsl but with wireless router or the fully wireless adsl substitute costing about €600 to install ? Until I know I cant answer the first question :) :)

Back