Eircom-Veiled Threats

pennypincher

I recently received a phone call from Eircom asking me if I would like to move back to their service,after we went through the usual pricing difference I was able to point out to the sales person that they were 5 euro a month more expensive than my exisitng package for the same service,she still asked would I not like to come back anyway!Anyway when I told her I wasn't going to pay more for an identical service she said if I was with Eircom if there was a fault it would be dealt with very quickly as I was a customer.Whereas as a Non customer I would be taking my chances and long delays etc.Is this an appropiate/legal sales tactic,for me I wasn't changing back anyway but if I was elderly or vunrable this type of veiled threat might just have worked,surely it's not ethetical?

This is the case. It is an unofficial policy of eircons. My take on it is its better to put up with the delays than to give in to blackmail.

one way or another you pay line rental, you rent the line and deserve the service. i would ask them to put it in writing or go away

My father signed up with a company some time back (they paid the line rental to eircom) so when he had afault he had to get the company to ring eircom for the technician to repair it - on the 2 occasions he had faults he had a dreadful job in getting the company to contact eircom. He returned to eircom shortly afterwards as his bills aren't big anyway.

So the salesperson might have been speaking from experience BUT she should have kept her views/threats to herself.

Pee said:
My father signed up with a company some time back (they paid the line rental to eircom) so when he had afault he had to get the company to ring eircom for the technician to repair it - on the 2 occasions he had faults he had a dreadful job in getting the company to contact eircom. He returned to eircom shortly afterwards as his bills aren't big anyway.

So the salesperson might have been speaking from experience BUT she should have kept her views/threats to herself.

Yes - and this is only happening due to eircon hindering the competition. I still think people should persevere with the alternative providers. Its a healthier way to go in the long term.

Actually I read that Eircom were not allowed to that just this morning, I think it was probably from the comreg site. I'll see if I can find it again and link it for you. They are just so unfair, I'm pulling my hair out at this stage with eircom.

Yeap here it is, this is what it says in repairs

Service Repair Timeframe

Eircom currently own the majority of telephone lines in the country. When you pay your line rental to another operator, that operator then rents the line from Eircom. Eircom are responsible for the maintenance and fault repair of the full network. If you get a fault on your line, your operator then contacts Eircom on your behalf to organise the repair of the fault for you.
Eircom is not allowed to prioritise the line faults of eircom customers over the line faults of other operators' customers. Eircom must ensure that they provide facilities to other operators' customers of the same quality as Eircom provides to its own customers under the same conditions.

Here is the link from [broken link removed]

I had a problem with Eircom no way could I get broadband both self test on website and telephone enquiries to no avail...Fail....Fail...Fail... ( my account was with another co.). I installed a second line using eircom as service provider and changed my first line back to Eircom also.

Few days later used the self test facility for broadband suitability on the Eircom website and BOTH lines passed!!

iona said:
Actually I read that Eircom were not allowed to that just this morning, I think it was probably from the comreg site. I'll see if I can find it again and link it for you. They are just so unfair, I'm pulling my hair out at this stage with eircom.
Yeah, but its next to impossible to prove and even if it was proven, Comreg are the last people in the world to take on eircon on this issue or any other for that matter....no teeth.

Back