Eircom Router Wi-Fi and Ethernet at same time?

pennypincher

A friend of mine is having problems with his eircom router.The installation guide says It can be set up as a wireless or an Ethernet option but there doesn't seem to be a selection for both-he wants both.He is getting intermittant broadband on the ethernet to desktop connection but fine on the wireless.Cables etc are fine.

It doesn't seem like anything is wrong on the surface but double check the DSL filter if its that type of connection. However, the ethernet cables plugged into the back of the router shouldn't pose a problem if they are connected properly.

Should be no problem using them both at the same time, assuming there is no dhcp conflict with him trying to use the same ip for both machines on the wireless and physical connection

A friend of mine is having problems with his eircom router.The installation guide says It can be set up as a wireless or an Ethernet option but there doesn't seem to be a selection for both-he wants both.He is getting intermittant broadband on the ethernet to desktop connection but fine on the wireless.Cables etc are fine.

I have exactly the same connections that you describe and it works flawlessly.

Is there any chance that you might have a manual IP address configured that is the same on both machines creating a conflict.

Click on your windows start button (lower left hand side of the screen)
Click on "Run" and in the dialog box type "cmd"
A new window opens,type "ipconfig /all"
One of the displayed lines will show "ip address 63.141.53.0"

Try this on both machines and see if it shows the same address, if so you will have problems.

The other thing I would suggest is that you disconnect the wireless internet pc and see if the hard wired pc with the ethernet connection works ok. If it does the fault is on the wireless connection

As it happened it was neither,the PC was running very slow and the internet was timing out.Have it cleaned up and running now.Thanks for all the replies.By the way clubman it was a 2247 Netopia.

Back