EIRCOM increased prices after contract signed

celt2005

My friend purchased a 24 month contract from EIR from a door-to-door representative early this year

The deal was 50 EUR for Standard TV package, and internet package , 10 EUR for a second TV box for another room , and 10 EUR for a Mobile Phone package

In total, the package was 70 EUR for 24 months

After four months , all items increased by 5 EUR, price increased to 85 EUR

Three months later, another 5 EUR increase on each item , so price went up to 100 EUR

When my friend enquired why the price increase, he was told it was inflation

When he stated he wanted to end package , as it became too expensive, he was told he would have to pay a penalty fee commensurate to the contract time left

I have checked for similar, and have found VIRGIN in Britain have raised prices this year, using inflation as an excuse to people currently under contract

GOOGLE USWITCH

Virgin Media price increase 2024 — what can customers do?​

Would appreciate opinions and thoughts on how to take this forward

Eir taking the Michael. Been here - never going back!
Thanks for your response, How did it pan out for you , is my friend tied into the deal until completion , I assume the contract does not have unilateral clauses allowing EIR to increase at will ?

My friend purchased a 24 month contract from EIR from a door-to-door representative early this year

The deal was 50 EUR for Standard TV package, and internet package , 10 EUR for a second TV box for another room , and 10 EUR for a Mobile Phone package

Three months later, another 5 EUR increase on each item , so price went up to 100 EUR

When my friend enquired why the price increase, he was told it was inflation

When he stated he wanted to end package , as it became too expensive, he was told he would have to pay a penalty fee commensurate to the contract time left

I have checked for similar, and have found VIRGIN in Britain have raised prices this year, using inflation as an excuse to people currently under contract

GOOGLE USWITCH

Virgin Media price increase 2024 — what can customers do?​

Would appreciate opinions and thoughts on how to take this forward

If you could show your friends bills here, before and after the increases, someone might be able to help?

I presume that this was their annual price increase?
https://www.eir.ie/annual-price-increase/
Not sure what this would have been.
Surely the price increases were announced and explained to the customer?

As mentioned above the contract terms and conditions probably covers such price increases.

Paying a penalty to get out of a minimum contract period is common with most or all service providers.

In 2023 Eir announced that there will be an increase each April going forward as per link above.

It is built in to the contract I'm afraid.

In 2023 Eir announced that there will be an increase each April going forward as per link above.

It is built in to the contract I'm afraid.
I still wonder what the second price increase was due to though, assuming that the information posted is accurate and there were, in fact, two separate price increases in 2024?

I still wonder what the second price increase was due to though, assuming that the information posted is accurate and there were, in fact, two separate price increases in 2024?

Some companies offer a tempting price for a certain part of the contract eg €20 for the 1st 6 months and €40 thereafter.
This could explain the 2nd price increase within a year. However the OPs numbers don't tally for me, hence my suggestion he
shows the bills here.

Do they have this in writing? What are the T&Cs they signed?

Most telecoms providers have started including inflation increases as standard, but if the deal signed said €70 for 24 months then that's what they should be paying until the 24 months ends.

In most cases, it is unwise to sign-up for any deal put to you by a door-to-door salesperson. They rarely work for the company involved and are long gone by the time issues arise with whatever they told you to earn their commission.

I concur with @charlie007 .

When I first entered into a contract with Eir a 6 month discount was part of the deal. That most likely explains the 2nd increase in the 7th month.

(I should have said that in my first post above)

I concur with @charlie007 .

When I first entered into a contract with Eir a 6 month discount was part of the deal. That most likely explains the 2nd increase in the 7th month.

(I should have said that in my first post above)
Ah, ok, so the first price increase is most likely the annual CPI related increase and the second is probably the end of an initial discounted period?

If you could show your friends bills here, before and after the increases, someone might be able to help?
Thanks Charlie

I can ask for a copy, but how would the bill help in resolving the issue ?

Do people have experience of this , I assume this is not common practice, and what steps can be taken to sort out his issue?
More than likely details of such would have been in the small print in the initial contract whenever they sign up. It isn’t unusual for communications providers to have a built in inflation price increase clause in there somewhere. It’s a tad sneaky.
Thank you Rust for your reply,

The inflation charge would explain the first increase.

Have checked the EIR site, and they say this for April . I will check as the cumulative increase from 70 to 85 EUR would be 21.4% , according to EIR, the increase should be 5.32 EUR , so will need to check what is happening

hxxps://www.eir.ie/annual-price-increase/

" The annual CPI rate published in January 2024 was 4.6%. Therefore, the price increase will be no greater than 7.6% of the standard monthly price of your eir services, excluding any discounts. "

Seeing the numbers and the timeline with whatever information eg % discount in print might clarify things.
Note for example 'the standard monthly price' is usually much higher than what is charged.
This would make the €5.32 figure you mention higher, but nowhere near €15.

Do people have experience of this , I assume this is not common practice, and what steps can be taken to sort out his issue?
The CPI price increase is common practice for Eir anyway since it's part of their terms and conditions.
As mentioned above the second price increase may be due to the end of an introductory discounted period.
I'm pretty certain that your friend was never informed in writing that the €70 p.m. price was guaranteed for 24 months.

FWIW I recently renewed our contract with Eir and we have the broadband & landline contract for 24 months. It is confirmed in the email they sent out that this price is for the 24 months (interestingly they broke it out by 1-6 months, 7-12 months, 13 to 24 months all at the agreed price and then showed the price it will revert to after the 24 months is up). The annual price increase (CPI rate plus 3%) is mentioned so that is expected after April next year. We also have mobile contracts bundled in with this but the emails for them only mentions 12 month contracts.
But long story short, it is all clearly stated in the emails they sent out.

I presume that this was their annual price increase?

Not sure what this would have been.
Surely the price increases were announced and explained to the customer?

As mentioned above the contract terms and conditions probably covers such price increases.

Paying a penalty to get out of a minimum contract period is common with most or all service providers.
Thank you ClubMan for your response

The first increase looks like the annual charge, just need to check the amount charged

My friend stated he asked the on-door representative three times to confirm the deal was 70 EUR for 24 months , with no hidden charges. so I will have to ring EIR to ask why the initial increase was in excess of 21% , and what the second increase was added for

I will update you when I have made the call, I need to catchup with him to make it

Thanks again

My friend stated he asked the on-door representative three times to confirm the deal was 70 EUR for 24 months , with no hidden charges. so I will have to ring EIR to ask why the initial increase was in excess of 21% , and what the second increase was added for
Have you confirmed what they actually signed? Without that you're likely fighting a losing battle.

The problem with these inflation increases is that the 3 or 4% is not on the base amount you agree to, it's on the plan before discounts I think. So the percentage increase is higher than a percentage of the discounted amount. When selling to you they never say this or advise what the new total would be, it's quite dishonest actually.

Back