Eircom rant.

Purple

My Eircom DSL connection has been down for two months. I have called Eircom 7 times, spoken to someone 4 times and sent 3 emails (from work). The first technical guy I spoke to said that I needed an engineer out to fix it and he would have someone call me within two days. All subsequent contact was to try to arrange a date. They called my once to say that an engineer had been out to the house but couldn't gain access. They never arranged the call out with me.
I have now cancelled Eircom BB and am about to cancel my Eircom phone. I am moving the whole lot to BT. I don't care if it costs twice as much, I will never use Eircom again.

Good for you Purple. That's an absolute disgrace and thankfully there are no other options available so eircom don't have the monopoly they used to have. If enough people move away they'll have to buck up their act and start employing people who need to work to get the customers.

I worked in Eircom for about six months a few years ago. Was offered major money to take a permanent job there but turned it down as I couldn't stick the amount of red tape you had to get through within the company to actually get anything done. The place was full of people who had been there 20+ years and were offended if they were asked to actually do anything.

I have now cancelled Eircom BB and am about to cancel my Eircom phone. I am moving the whole lot to BT. I don't care if it costs twice as much, I will never use Eircom again.
Having decided that it's too risky to move to Smart I was interested in checking out some details of transferring from UTV to BT (in particular whether or not I need to go via eircom etc.). I contacted BT via their presales contacts on their website but they never bothered to respond. Don't assume that the divil you don't know is necessarily any better....

You are right, and I hadn't thought of that... now I'm really depressed!

I am having a great time trying to transfer my UTV BB from one house to another (even though the previous owners were also UTV customers).

Just in the process of changing from Eircom to Smart (which in all honesty has been a nightmare for which both companies can take some blame). Just like to point out that all the other companies that sell fixed line broadband services basically just repackage the eircom product - it's eircom's equipment etc - and therefore, if it doesn't work for eircom, it may not work for the others either (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The reason why smart is different is that they set up separate equipment for each individual subscriber. That said, how much longer are they going to last?

As far as I know that's generally correct for home broadband - most providers reselly eircom's wholesale package. Some providers do have unbundled equipment for business users (e.g. as far as I know BT managed to roll out SDSL using their own equipment in exchanges for business users in early 2005).

I have my BB through NTL, TV and broadband down the one wire. No eircom anywhere to be seen.

You can also try one of the wireless ISPs if you want to avoid Eircom alltogether.

At least you all can get DSL broadband.

My line isn't enabled and I don't know how to find out when it will be (if ever). When I ring Eircom about it they just transfer me to 100 different departments and no-one has an answer.

So my only option is one provider of wireless but its expensive and there's no competition and it works in some houses locally but not in others and I've been told it's not that fast anyway.

Has anyone any idea how to figure out when they would upgrade our exchange?

Rebecca

"....... as far as I know BT managed to roll out SDSL using their own equipment in exchanges for business users "

Hi Clubman;

Am I right that SDSL is a broadband with the same upload and download speeds? Is there any convenient site where you can ascertain its general availability? Would this make it much quicker to upload digital photos to the likes of Pixaco? (Currently taking an irritating two hours on eircom home broadband to upload 100 pics for printing )

Bummer.

Try this [broken link removed](I have no idea if it is any good)

I think there is also the option to 'vote' to have your exchange enabled somewhere on this site (maybe if you use the line checker)

Having had billing problems with eircom in the past which they subsequently admitted to, i got rid of them and moved to BT as soon as our exchange was enabled. Never a problem thusfar, and no bills either?? Anyway, i'm not complaining, though doubtless they'll catch up at some stage. The product is good and very reasonably priced, now, just hope I haven't jinxed it.

I think there is also the option to 'vote' to have your exchange enabled somewhere on this site (maybe if you use the line checker)

Just tried that phoneline checker . Its broken.

I get this after putting in my ph. number ...

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

* Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
* If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.

Never a problem thusfar, and no bills either??

Isn't there online billing unless you opt to pay extra to receive hard copies?

And there was a long runing thread on BT and billing running until recently.....

Isn't there online billing unless you opt to pay extra to receive hard copies?
You may be right, don't remember, but they haven't taken any money in 5/6 months.

You can fill in the phoneline checker thing on Eircom's broadband website too and then leave your details if you want to register your interest.

It can't be up to much though because I've registered myself umpteen times in the last eighteen months and I'm still dialling up.

Rebecca

Just to add my feelings on Eircom!

I just set up a landline (unfortunately had to be with Eircom) in our new house. Was told as the pre-cabling was all in place and due to a promotion there would be no connection charge, so happy with that told them go ahead.

Landline was set up as promised but then 2 weeks later the bill is issued - of course it shows a connection charge, ring up 1901 after holding for 10 mins to get through to someone in customer care billing who says that she cant help with a bill enquiry and she'll transfer me 'to someone who can' she then transfers me to a different line that rings and connects to hold for a further 10 mins until someone answers says hello and then hangs up as soon as I speak.

This is where I remember that I hate Eircom!

So decide to send an email instead asking why I was charged for connection. An automated reply is received saying my query will be answered within 2 working days. 2 weeks later I have heard nothing!! So calling back 1901 again first thing the next morning, I get through after 2 mins to customer care who tell me I am very much mistaken and that I should have been charged 100 euro rather than 50 for connection!! When I query this they say I'll need to speak to a supervisor and so the long process of holding begins again at which point I hang up!

Next day though lo and behold I get a call from someone in Eircom apologising for the 2 week delay in answering my email but they have cancelled the connection charge which was their error and apologised that it happened in the first place!

In the meantime, have transferred from my old account with UTV landline and broadband and this was done with absolutely no charge and problems in 10 days!

Not good for the stress levels dealing with Eircom!

Yes - SDSL = Symmetric DSL so same upload and download speeds. They were rolling it out in early 2005 for business customers so the services were priced accordingly. I enquired on behalf of my employer but we went with another provider for various reasons. I don't know where you can check on availaibility other than with BT themselves. However my recent attempts to ask them about transferring from UTV to BT for home broadband and call services have drawn a blank so far. I emailed them again and they have still not even acknowledged never mind replied. Maybe they can be choosy about what customers they answer and whose business they accept?

Good luck trying to get UTV to cease service on your line. They may well deny that they actually provide the service, and hence cannot do anything. True story. I have made around half a dozen phone calls to UTV (suffering the horrendous radio show used a 'hold music', around the same to Eircom, and one each to BT, Comreg and the previous owners of our new house who swear they were UTV customers (they were, but UTV have denied this, then retracted, then denied again, and since retracted again).