Eircom or BT?

addob

I need a landline and broadband in my new build apartment and I’m trying to decide between eircom and BT.

Eircom are offering:
2 Mb Broadband and eircom talktime after hours
Download speeds of up to 2Mb and upload speed of 256k
Monthly megabyte allowance is 20 GB download / unlimited upload.
Cost €54.99 (inc VAT)

BT are offering:
3 Mb Broadband and talk
Download speeds of up to 3Mb and upload speeds of up to 384Kb.
Monthly transfer limit of 30GB
Cost €50 per month (inc VAT)
There is a one-time connection fee of €45.

I do download a lot from Limewire, mostly television shows from the US and I need a landline for incoming calls from my family overseas (too expensive for them to call a mobile). I upload very little.
I know both BT and eircom have good and bad reviews, just wondering what would you do?

Thanks!

if you go BT thet still have to get Eircom to put in the line.
personally I would go with Eircom. that way if anything goes wrong they have the sole ownership of the issue.

The line is already installed and I activated it last night, if that helps. I've just moved out of a smart only apartment block so I know what can happen when things go wrong!

With BT 2MB package(€40pm) now for 4months and no problems apart from their billing is a tad confusing but the actual bb is working fine,happy days!got sick of eircom and their expensive calls

Go with BT. They are much better value. I have had no complaints with them - so far. I am on the 1Mb package with includes calls to Ireland and the UK for a total of €45pm(incl. line rental).

Thanks, so that's 2 for BT and only 1 for eircom.
Any more opinions? I surprised considering how many negative reviews I've seen of both companies, is it possible it's really just a rock and a hard place? Which would be the lesser of two evils?
ad

Switched to BT and dont regret it. inital billing system is something you will have to keep an eye on though. once the billing is sorted they are ok.

Agree with Grifter, BT are great. Billing is confusing but their customer services is much improved. Call them and then select the call back option and you'll get them.
Incidently Grifter, what is the speed like on the 1MB broadband. I have the 2MB as I used to work from home but that's not the case anymore so I am not using the broadband as heavily as I was. For 40 euro including calls to landlines it seems good value.

I enquired about that downgrade. Theyll charge you 30e to downgrade from 2mb to 1mb, this is an admin charge, curiously, no charge if you upgrade the line, there mustnt be any admin involved with upgrading :rolleyes:. I fired a mail to cust service saying I didnt charge them admin when they messed up my first 4 bills when I was overcharged in every one of them so they agreed to waive the 30e. I only asked because I hadnt seen any difference from when I was on the 1mb line from when I went to 2mb. Aside fm that BT are the ones to go for as they give you exactly what eircom give you but cheaper.

Go with BT and watch their billing.

Someone above suggested going with €ircon on the basis that "if anything goes wrong they have the sole ownership of the issue."
Eircom trade on these fears - if it wasnt for this they wouldnt have any customers left at all. This sort of business model should not be supported. If the likes of €ircom do all the wrong things and still get the business, we can only blame ourselves as consumers for the service we end up with.

Hmm.... really looks promising for BT, plus the OH is leaning that way as well. If my new build is wired for telephone/broadband but doesn't have the outlets in the other rooms who can I get to fit these in? Or is it a simple enough job to do myself?

ad

I'm still with Smart and I'm very happy. Phone and broadband (4Mb DL/384Kb UL) for 35 Euro. I used to be with BT and would prefer them to Eircom, as a previous poster said - watch their billing as I had problems with being double charged too. I think Eircom are the worst.

SirOurs,

I actually have no complaints about SMART and had them in our last place. They're not an option for my location so its BT or Eircom.

ad

My intention is to go with Eircom for the first six months and then switch to either BT or UTV. No Smart or Magnet option. My thinking is I'd rather get set up with Eircom and then switch after everything is up and running. It will out a bit more expensive, even taking into account that buying broadband online with eircom is free and includes free wireless modem.

My intention is to go with Eircom for the first six months and then switch to either BT or UTV. No Smart or Magnet option. My thinking is I'd rather get set up with Eircom and then switch after everything is up and running. It will out a bit more expensive, even taking into account that buying broadband online with eircom is free and includes free wireless modem.

Is eircom only a 6 month contract? or a 12 month?
I guess this will depend if I can figure out how to connect the outlets in the rest of the place. Do they charge for that? I know installation is free?

does the wireless broadband router from BT also allow wired connetions from it? I know the Eircom one has 4 wired connections built in to it also.

I got Eircom broadband installed before Christmas after much thinking about and studying the other packages available.

To be perfectly honest, I am delighted with Eircom. It is reliable, fast and fuss-free. I know there are cheaper packages out there and I'm sure they are good but of all of the Eircom customers I have spoken to in advance of getting broadband, there wasn't one single complaint.

Happy surfing and downloading!!

Back