Eircom increasing speeds

M

matc66

Just saw this on boards, looks like eircom are taking the fight to smart and increasing their basic speeds. This seems a clever way of avoiding cutting the cost of the service.

eircom

Good to see - (I pay Eur50 for the NTL 1.5mb service) now wondering if this will put pricing pressure on NTL!
The others will have to follow suit rapidly or lose all new business.

No good to me

I live c.5.2km from the exchange and can still get nuthin , bring it on Smart .

Toeing the line

Most of the other isps that rent lines from eircom are following suit, notably esatbt with iol broadband. But still if you look at the figures smart still offers the best dsl service if you take into account the potential free line rental.
esatbt.com/echannel/res.p...Fbroadband

Re: Toeing the line

But still if you look at the figures smart still offers the best dsl service if you take into account the potential free line rental.

Never mind the potential for them actually eventually delivering broadband as opposed to just signing up voice service consumers. I still remain dubious about the Smart offer but would be delighted if it becomes a reality.

Same here CLubman, I used to work with an american telecoms carrier that provided wholesale data and voice to SMART and all I can say is that I laughed when I heard their Ad on television.. If people only knew!..

Do you have any more insignt into the situation than the rest of us that you could post? I'm as intrigued as I am dubious about Smart's proposition.

Re: Broadband speed - how to check?

Great to read on AAM that Eircom is increasing its Broadband speed from 8th April.

What I'd like to know is - where (on the PC) can I check the current speed of the connection? Then I'd have a baseline and could see if it really does increase. It was simple with dial-up but haven't been able to find where to check it now.

I'd really like to know (thanks in advance) providing the answer isn't too technical.

8)

This site has great test results and you can run as many tests as you like.
www.testmy.net

Thanks for that but I've already followed a link from the Smart thread and got the speed. Fantastic stuff!

Before Eircom increases the speed, as they say they will on 8th April, I now know upload is 106 kbps and download 438 kbps but of course this will vary with the contention ratio of 48:1. I'm showing off!

Logically it would seem eircom would have to greatly increase the speed assuming they reach their target of 500,000 by Dec 2007 otherwise we'd be back to snail's pace dial-up. Just guessing.

EzCode Parsing This tester site (possibly listed on the site linked above) is also useful - free registration required to use their online version.

Before Eircom increases the speed, as they say they will on 8th April, I now know upload is 106 kbps and download 438 kbps but of course this will vary with the contention ratio of 48:1. I'm showing off!

It will also vary with lots of other criteria such as network/site latencies, local cabling issues etc.

Now you have me there! But thanks for that information. I followed CM's link on the Smart thread to get that speed.

Am wondering now if utv, which seems the best alternative to eircom, will up the ante regarding speed? The free after hours calls nationally and to the UK still represent an attractive carrot.

One difference I've confirmed is that utv will charge €99 for their modem after the trial while eircom will not. That's another two and a half months free rental. Incidentally when I was speaking to utv recently the guy was positively breathless to sign me up, saying the offer was ending soon+++. Yesterday, there was no date for the trial to end. Competition is terrific!

8)

Am wondering now if utv, which seems the best alternative to eircom, will up the ante regarding speed?

Many broadband providers are still simply reselling eircom wholesale packages (iStream or whatever it's called) so chances are they will match this speed increase. Those that operate their own exchanges/equipment/lines unbundled from eircom may pursue a different strategy). I certainly hope that UTV follow suit!

One difference I've confirmed is that utv will charge €99 for their modem after the trial while eircom will not. That's another two and a half months free rental.

Yes - but (ignoring any potential speed differences for the moment) for a given 12 month contract period.