Eircom:Cancel fixed line get broadband

rubberduckey

Hi, Ive been searching this site, eircoms site and on the web and cant find the answer.

Does anyone know if Eircom will supply broadband only if I cancel my fixed line??

thanks for your help.

What do you mean by cancelling your "fixed" line? If you mean your normal telephone landline then don't cancel this as that's what eircom and other telcos use to provide ADSL based broadband! All things being equal (in particular being connected to and "close enough" to a broadband enabled echange) you use the same telephone line for voice calls and ADSL broadband. This works simulteneously too - i.e. you can be connected to the internet and using the telephone at the same time (as long as you install the supplied microfilters on any phone handset connections).

What the OP means is so-called "Naked DSL" whereby voice services on the telephone line cease entirely, and its used exclusively for DSL access.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_DSL

Sorry to say, this is NOT available in Ireland. Eircom make too much profit on line rental to introduce this kind of service, and without LLU (local loop unbundling) no other provider can either....

Sorry Govinda and Clubman,
thanks for your replies, most appreciated.

Re-reading my post I did leave out an apostrophe.

We very rarely use the phone line and im trying to reduce costs.

So i figured on cutting out line rental, but as Govinda pointed out, this is a non runner.

thanks anyway.

Why don't you try other providers? You can get broadband through NTL or there is irishbroadband, where you don't need a phone line, or smart is like eircom, but much cheaper?

Back