Eircom Broadband - Wireless sharing

podgerodge

I have just installed a relations Eircom Broadband. The modem (Netopia 3347NWG) has a built in wifi router. Everything went fine and I can access the internet signal from another room on a laptop after entering the WEP key that was generated.

Question - by wirelessly sharing the internet connection as I have done, am I just sharing the internet or, am I potentially leaving the host pc's files available for sharing as well? The Eircom setup wizards didnt mention any thing about this.

Thanks

I use a wireless Eircom router in an office Iwork in sometimes and I can access their network

I am sure one of the techies will be able to tell how to block it though

stuart@buyingtolet.ie

your wireless router will give out ip addresses in the same range so any machine connected through your router in the same network and will have some access to talk to each other .....however as you have encryption enabled then nobody external will be able to connect to the router correctly so won't be able to access your pc.

hmmm ok! But if I gave someone the key when trying out the wireless connection does this mean they can now browse files on the host computer (unless I change the key) - when they connected to the internet it worked fine - what would they have to do to start browsing the host pc's files?

thanks

podgerodge said:
hmmm ok! But if I gave someone the key when trying out the wireless connection does this mean they can now browse files on the host computer (unless I change the key) - when they connected to the internet it worked fine - what would they have to do to start browsing the host pc's files?

thanks

I'm sure there are many ways of hacking for someone with the correct knowledge but one basic thing to watch out for is file and printer sharing. If this is switched on then anyone connecting to your workgroup can see some files, MS very helpfully use a default workgroup of MSHOME for example in XP Home so both PC's could easily be part of the same workgroup. I don't think file and printer sharing is supposed to be enabled by default but it could have accidently been activated when configuring your PC's network settings, you can switch it off.

I have Eircom wireless broadband. How do I make sure my neighbours cant / dont use it. My set up doesn't ask me for any keys or security access prompts?

There was a good thread here on this subject but I can't find it now so for the moment you will probably find some useful information among .

Lakeview said:
I have Eircom wireless broadband. How do I make sure my neighbours cant / dont use it. My set up doesn't ask me for any keys or security access prompts?

Lakeview, if you have the Netopia modem you access the setup by typing in the IP address provided in the documentation - there is a section for wireless setup and it's here that you select security - WEP 128bit and it assigns a key. Sorry I can't be of more help as I used the wizard provided - maybe you could rerun the wizard to find the IP address to use to access the router - or is there another easier way?

Back