Eircom Alternative

mickeyg

I have my landline with Eircom and in addition have their internet package of (I think) up to 100 hours for something like €39.99. This is dial up not broadband. I feel I'm being fleeced as my bill every couple of months is nearly €200 even though we do not call abroad and would not have extraordinary use of the phone.
I realise there has been a lot of discussion here on various options but for my usage profile could I get an idea of who might be the most competitive option. Like I'm sure everyone lese I am inundated with cold calers telling me how I can save money but I'm sceptical and would prefer to go with independent recommendations from here!

The offer from Smart [broken link removed] (€35 per month for BB and line rental) is still one of the cheapest on the market. (depends on if your still on dial up by choice or if your unable to get the BB connection)

Combine this with something like [broken link removed] (€0.05 connection fee per call, €0.00 per minute tariff for Irish landlines, €0.10 per minute tariff for mobiles (€0.05 at weekends)...... €0.005 per minute for US etc) and huge savings can be made.

Smart can take a while to port over from Eircom and does require a change of number. It also requires a fixed contract i.e. 12 months.

13434 can be signed up for and cancelled without any notification and the only requirements are a landline number and a credit card for billing (if most calls are Irish landline [or to the US] massive savings can be made here).

I've no connection with either company other than the use of their services.

Try Perlico here

for 29.99 you get
Unlimited daytime, evening & weekend calls to Irish landlines
Line rental included
With Perlico FreeTalk anytime you save up to 31% on mobile calls and 88% on International Calls

for an additional 19.99 pm you get unlimited broadband

I'm bailing out of Perlico in favour of BT.

Been stung and can't recommend them.

Their customer service is also very poor - phoned to discuss my billing problem (I was quite rational) and had their customer service hang up on me.

Also if you have a problem there's no time to sort the issue prior to the direct debit. The billing was dated 8th Sept and the bill arrived on the 21st, with the notification that funds would be taken on 22nd.

At that point you have little chance of satisfaction.

I thought it was only my bill that was dated 8th and arrived 21st with money taken on 22nd lucky I had no problems with bill.

I would dump eircom altogther if I could:

1) Get bb that does not require a landline. This would be either wireless, ntl cable or chorus cable for example. Digiweb also have a good package for 20 euros per month which is wireless bb and a telephone line also provided over the wireless link, meaning you can dump the eircom line.

2) Once you have a bb connection that does not need your phone line, sign up to a voip provider like www.blueface.ie By voip i do not mean skype. You have to go for a service like blueface as it gives exact same functionality as a landline, i.e local number, incomming and outgoing calls, no pc required, use a normal landline telephone etc. Voice packages from blueface cost 15 euros pm to give you unlimited landline calls anwhere in ireland or uk. And there is no line rental to pay. There is even a pay as you go option.

3) If you cannot get bb, there are plenty of alternatives to eircom. Priore to me getting wireless bb, I had my landline with Euphony, which cost me 10 euros per month for all irish landline calls, but obviously I also had to pay line rental.

There are other voip providers in ireland like skytel, broadtalk and even smart076, so chack them out also, but my recommendation based on price, package and service would be blueface (I am excusing them for the recent bad service issues as they seem to be getting sorted again now)

Regards,
Eamon

Back