Eir - impossible to contact

Eventually I got my contract sorted with Eir. It has taken since 31st January to sort out. Every day I tried to contract them -no web chat, asked for a call back from sales - no one called. Phoned 1901 and was left holding on 6 different days of between 35 and 50 minutes when eventually I just hung up. Today I visited the local EIR shop but they could do nothing - I then decided to stick with it and was on hold for 55 minutes when eventually I got to speak to a human. I would have cancelled but my husband likes Eir sport !! From talking to friends I understand other suppliers are just as bad.

I wouldn't touch Eir. I use Virgin Media for my business broadband and landlines. A few times I've called up I've got through to someone in three minutes (yes a person). The modem was tested and other techie stuff. Problem resolved each time. Eir is a legacy of five(?) rounds of private equity buyouts where the all available cash was used to pay the last crowd who sold it.

I have to agree with everything bad said about Eir. An utter appalling lack of customer service.

Signed up last week for FTTH + sim only mobile - very easy to sign up, so i was hopeful.

Needed to make a change to the delivery address of the sim card. That should have been easily done by email, webchat or registering for myeir which they encourage you to do. Failing that call them on 1901

1 - sent email to [email protected] as it states in the email they sent - email address is restricted and email bounced back.

2. Tried to register for myeir. They state all you need is your account number. Nope you need you account number and you not yet issued landline number or broadband number (only issued AFTER installation)

3 - I'll try webchat. Gave all the details. "sorry we can't help you, you need to call 1901!" They then said that they could solve the myeir issue - I was hopeful. Then they said no phone number has been issued yet, so no can do.

4 - Tried 1901. after 32 minutes on hold I gave up

Avoid them at all costs.

Can breaking an eir contract (because their service was appaling) affect your credit rating?

On their website it states they share info with Credit Insights and that info is shared with other Telecomms companies, but can it affect your credit rating, also it is my word versus theirs on who broke the terms of the contract....

eir. ie/ credit-insights/

Eir published a statement on this last week:

[broken link removed]
Webchat can't help. emails get bounced back, you can't do changes on myeir. The ONLY option you have is to call them and wait times are in excess of 30 minutes.

So the ONLY way to communicate with eir is via 1901. Most companies will have a working email or the webchat people can make small change, this would alleviate many calls. But eir don't permit webchat personnel make changes, their email address that they give you is restricted and you have one choice and on choice only - spend an hour+ on hold.

Avoid like the plague

My saga with Eir appears to be coming to an end. We had no broadband for a couple of weeks because our account was "wrongfully" terminated by Eir. I have a promise from a Customer Service person (affable and efficient) after speaking to no less than ten other people who appeared ill trained, not capable of empathy with customers, and generally seemed to not give a whit or even know what they are doing.

I'm glad the whole thing is nearly over. I liked Eir, Eircom, Telecom Eireann, Dept P&T in the past.

Having worked in the Telecoms Industry for years and from my own personal experience and that of others I know, including making valid complaints I am most decidedly of the opinion that Comreg are a useless, lazy guard dog, with the odd mild, disinterested bark and no inclination to ever bite.

Its a great pity as they're filling a vital space that a proper, efficient, active regulatory body is sorely needed in....

Credit Report / Credit Rating / Credit score ... thanks for the reply !

The system by which Eir share info with other telecoms companies is operated by Experian, which had me concerned.

Having worked in the Telecoms Industry for years and from my own personal experience and that of others I know, including making valid complaints I am most decidedly of the opinion that Comreg are a useless, lazy guard dog.

I worked briefly in the US in a company which had an FCC (Federal Communications Commission) licence. One of the terms of their licence was that they answered the telephone within 90 seconds on average.

This was continuously monitored by software installed in the phone system and a report of the average answer time sent to the FCC every two weeks.

The running average was displayed in the offices continuously and if it was slipping everyone in the office was dragged in to get the average back up.

I cannot get through to them, on several occasions I have had to write to them and they did phone me

Eir published a statement on this last week:

[broken link removed]
I'd happily pay extra just to have access to good customer service. I hate having to deal with Eir. I hate their adverts because they are so far from the truth of what they are as a company. Everything about them annoys me.

Thanks for the link, Purple. I read it. For once we now have a major Call Centre admitting openly that it has screwed up and is falling short of the mark and begs patience from the customers they themselves have not been patient with.

DO NOT sign up to eir unless you want your patience tested.

I stupidly signed up. Needed a sim card sent to a work address. That cannot be done. Took an hour and 20 minutes for a call. Decided to cancel. (24 hours after signing up) Was given a reference number, confirmed order was cancelled. Sim card not delivered, BB installation did not proceed.

Guess what? - Bill arrived today.

Webchat "not our department" I must ring cancellation team and waste another hour+++ .

AVOID at all costs. It is not worth it no matter what they offer.

Back