Key Post Eir GoMo - FAQ

In case anyone is unaware of the new Eir GoMo.ie offering, I thought this really good offer was worth a new thread.

- 9.99 EUR per month
- 9.99 EUR activation fee
- Unlimited calls
- Unlimited texts
- 80 GB 4G data (unlimited usage beyond 80 GB at a lower speed)
- 10 GB EU roaming data
- Sim only
- Offer "for life"
- Customer support online only
- Offer expires on 8 January 2020

Last edited:
I think it would be useful to summarise the other thread in an FAQ

What are the reasons you might not go for this deal?
  • Online support only
  • eir support - some people will not touch eir
  • Very expensive roaming prices
  • eir might not have good coverage in your area - WiFi calling not available
I still have 6 months on my current contract. Can I switch?
Yes, you can sign up to GoMo but you will have to pay the balance on your current contract.

I can't sign up because I keep getting error messages when I go to pay
Try a different browser or debit card

How do I get around the very expensive non-EU/EEA/UK Roaming Prices?
The only options are (1) use WiFi only or (2) buy a local sim card or (3) buy a Three UK sim card online which offers inclusive roaming in 71 countries at no extra cost.

Can I keep my existing number?

Yes.

Can I get a new number now and then switch to my existing number later?
Yes.

Can I use this offer to get a better price from my current provider?

Yes, if you persist 3 will give you €10 per month for 12 months. But €10 per month for life is better.

Are there any catches to the price for life commitment?
It only applies to 4G.
But 4G will be around for a long time.

Can I move my business account to it?
No. It's for personal use only.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only one I don't know the answer to is

How do I get around the very expensive Roaming Prices?

Is it just a question of not using your phone when you are outside the EU?

For example, if you visit America, buy a SIM card locally.

Brendan

Good summary Brendan. I have added a note to the opening post regarding the fact that this offer now expires on 8 January 2020.

Regarding non-EU,EEA and UK roaming, the options are (1) use WiFi only or (2) buy a local sim card or (3) buy a Three UK data sim card online which offers inclusive roaming in 71 countries at no extra cost. I will add this your FAQ above.

Last edited:
buy a Three UK sim card online which offers inclusive roaming in 71 countries at no extra cost.

Thanks Ciarán

I checked out that site, but couldn't follow it. But I will study it later.

So I have a phone number in Ireland 086 1234567

When I go to the States, I switch to a UK number 0171 2589654 (or whatever)

So if someone calls me or texts me on my GoMo number, they won't get through.

It seems awkward.

If the GoMo sim is out of the phone, does GoMo save the messages and calls until I put it in the phone?

Brendan

More detail on how to avail of the Three UK sim offer in this Boards.ie thread here.

2 options: (1) bring a spare/second phone or (2) use a dual sim phone.

Yeah, constantly switching sim cards is awkward.

OK, so I just sign up for one of these plans?

And GoRoam is automatic when I am abroad?

If I use up my allowance, then I top it up?

Is that it?

Brendan

I have just read more on this ... I think what one needs is a Three UK data sim. Not a standard Three UK prepay sim.

A Three UK data sim can be ordered from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006H7BKXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Not cheap, relative to EU roaming, but one of the better options for data usage in places like the US.

I got spam on my mobile number today. Surprisingly, Gomo don't have a 5xxxx number you can report the spam to so that the spam gets blocked on the network for all Gomo's users.

On Three spam can be forwarded to 50035. Vodafone and Eir have similar numbers.

Looking at getting this for a relative - won't be travelling abroad, so that's not an issue. Main thing will be to keep the existing number. To save time, it seems like a good idea to order the sim now and port the number later? Is porting straightforward / quick?

Looking at getting this for a relative - won't be travelling abroad, so that's not an issue. Main thing will be to keep the existing number. To save time, it seems like a good idea to order the sim now and port the number later? Is porting straightforward / quick?
Yes, you can set it up online and have the switch scheduled for even 15 minutes later.

Great stuff thanks a mill.

One more question - is it easy to cancel out of?
Do you mean, move away from GoMo at a later point? That's a question that I would say few can answer, given how new they are. There are some rules around switching though (which apply with a number port to GoMo also) so I would imagine it's fairly straightforward.

Offer for life - What is the legality of this offer. If you (accepted their offer) and moved to GoMo because of this "for life" offer, can they legally increase the price in the future without your consent?
i.e next year, 5 years time, 20 years time, 50 years time?

Terms and conditions say they can but legally can they ?

Back