Eir Connections Inside our House - Not Ours!!!

laura28

Hi All,

First time posting in this section so please bear with me. We purchased our home - a 4 bed 1960's semi D located in Dublin in 2017. We are currently mid way through renovations and have gutted the house downstairs internally and will shortly commence an external wrap.
Since we purchased the house there has been a large gathering of wires and cables in the porch (we have moved our front door so the old porch area is now in our new hallway). We assumed at the time of purchase these wires were old and not live/connected to anything. Turns out we were wrong and they are housing Eir etc connections for some of our neighbours (we don't know exactly what or whom). Where do we stand with these now? I had assumed as they are inside our home they are our property and we can simply cut them, our builder seems reluctant. An anonymous enquiry to Eir mentioned waiting for weeks and a fee of €1.5k to move them? I am trying to get some legal advice also at present.
Has anyone here any experience or insight they can offer?

Thanks in advance!

Any chance you could take a few pics and upload them, please?
So we could see what we are dealing with.

I had assumed as they are inside our home they are our property and we can simply cut them

Your solicitor should have gotten assurance as to title when you bought the property. I have a public drain on my property and its was clearly highlighted when I brought the property. I have to allow the council access for any maintenance work required.

Unless there was some easement granted by the previous owners to the utility company, and even then if you were not given notice that is not binding on you.

Though from the point of view of getting along with the neighbours it might be better to ask around first.

An anonymous enquiry to Eir mentioned waiting for weeks and a fee of €1.5k to move them?

Well what did you expect. Why did you make an anonymous enquiry.

I am trying to get some legal advice also at present.

There is no reason why you should have to go to any expense over this.

Unless eir have some hold over you, I'd be getting rid of any excess wiring on my house not needed by me. It's not your job to provide a 'home' for eir and the neighbours' wiring. In fairness, housing wiring for other properties sounds way off to me even if it was within a porch initially.

eir are idle enough to house wiring externally to your property for the neighbours.

Just be careful if you ever want to try Eir BB then if these cables are cut off and disappear that option is lost.

Tried to get eir in the house they could not find a cable and will not run a new one

Limits options which is a nuisance,

I have virgin so not the end of the world mind.

Back