Egypt, Red Sea area any advice?

Went to Egypt in 1998 - 7day cruise on the Nile and a week in Luxor, we went on a day trip to the Red Sea too. As stated by Squire - fantastic place. You need a visa from the Egyptian embassy I think, (maybe this was just for us as we're British passport holders?) Gold is so cheap and usually 18ct, you pay for the weight not the intracacy of the design - so let your imagination go wild - just order it at the beginning of your holiday and collect it at the end. In Luxor as well as temples, valley of the kings, valley of the queens etc. there are lots of organised tours to perfume factories, alabaster factories and lots of little stalls selling linen, papyrus pictures. If you're into mooching - its great! I picked up an Arabic phrase book at the airport and just learnt three words - no thank you!! Made sure hubby was the one with the money, so I wasn't really bothered by traders too much.

Must say that I didn't notice any beggars - children usually offer to carry your bags or are selling scarves, plates etc - didn't see anyone sitting on a corner with their McDonalds cup and a hungry grubby child - unlike O'Connell Street!!

Christians get a raw deal from Egyptian authorities. Many christian girls are kidnapped and forced to become muslims and are then forced to marry muslim boys. Police take no notice.

I write regularily to Egyptian authorities asking for incidents to be investigated.

I went there once and will never be back.

thanks very much for all you said, we staying in luxor for 2 weeks so hopefully we will enjoy it...

could anybody tell me what the story is with visa's to go to egypt.. Where would i get them and how long they take. we going in 1st week of june. have i enough time to get visas. im living in ireland.

thanks!!!

Luxor you get a visa at the airport you could pay either 10 GBP ,10 Euro or !0 dollars from what i remember -Flying to sharm you can get a sinai only visa at the airport I think you need to ask if you want to travel outside of sinai region eg cairo etc for a full visa. I think that flying to Cairo you had to prearrange the visa but not 100%

Ring the Egypt Embassey. If I remember correctly you send them your passport and a fee and it's returned in a couple of days.

You can buy the Visa in the Airport but if you are anything like me you will want to have it sorted before you arrive in case there are any problems or you arrive at lunchtime or some such.

hi

thanks for the advice, i think i will get them in the dublin (egypt) embassy to be safe

thanks a mill for your help but i think i might get them before i go over as have 10 people coming with me and wouldnt like them to be giving out if there was a problem getting them in airport.

thanks though

There'll be no problem getting your visas (tourist taxes) at the airport, they're well set up for it.

And if you're going to the Movenpick in Luxor, you're in for a treat!

Last summer I found the people to be very friendly if somewhat keen to sell you something/anything. They are very persistent.
Armed guards everywhere from the Tombs to the main (and even some side) streets, a bit disconcerting at first, but they are there to make you safe.

Didn't feel even slightly uneasy at all during a great holiday there.

Enjoy

lorr01 - if you want to go to the embassy to get your visas in advance go for it ... but as has been mentioned here it's a waste of time as it's not necessary

(And remember you'll probably have to collect the passports from everyone who you're travelling with and leave them into the embassy for a period of time - which would be a hassle to organise ... plus it's probably more expensive than the tenner or so you'll pay on arrival at Luxor)

Make you safe ? They did not suceed in keeping the poor tourists killed in Dahab not too long ago safe.

Out of dozens of foreign couintries around the world I have been lucky enough to visit in my life, I have found Egypt the worst by far. The rest of the world, outside North Africa and much of the middle east, is so different and so much nicer ( and probably safer ) to visit.

thank you very much, i small bit looking forward to it now!!!

ya your right, even though its all my family so wouldnt have hassle to get the passports but just wanted to be prepared incase there was some delay or something in airport. but thanks anyway.