Egypt in June?

mell61

I've spotted a good deal with budget for Luxor, going this month, the prices are excellent - in fact better that a lot of the Costas / Canaries...
My question is has anyone gone to Luxor in summer and would the recommend it? I've gone to Middle east in the past during summer months and was able to get by in the 40-50 C temp... but is the Luxor area likely to have nice cooling river breezes or will it be hot, still and humid?
Its a relaxing holiday so it'll be mainly pool with trips to valley of the kings on at least 2 days, so is touristy stuff and 40C going to work?
Thanks for any advise

have also spotted those deals myself and am extremely tempted to go on one! 280 for a week in a 5 star Sonesta in Luxor! ive never been before but a friend of mine tells me that al organised tours which you go on (assuming you are not doing the tours by yourselves) a bus collects you at 6am or even earlier depending on the length of the tour so that most tours are over by midday to avoid the worst of the humidity, not very pleasant temps to stand doing a walk about tour in...

Weather wise in June you can expect mid 30 degree temps and upwards of 80% humidity!

Hiya

We spent 3 weeks in Egypt & Jordan last year on our honeymoon. We were in Luxor at the beginning of June and it was 42 degrees, which was far to hot for us:eek: . There is a small bit of a breeze from the Nile but its still very humid.

We did a Nile cruise for a few days beforehand an all tours left the ship at about 6 or 7 am and back by 11am to avoid the heat, except the tour to Karnak Temple which was at 2pm..thankfully there was plenty of shade as we were dodging from pillar to pillar.

If you do go I'd recommend you do a ballon ride over the Valley of the Kings at dawn. Something we never got around to but its supposed to be amazing. Also Abu Simbal is worth the trip. The buses leave at 4.30am though as everyone travels in convoy. You can also organise a day trip to Cairo from Luxor. We spent a day in Cairo before we went on the Nile to see the pyramids, Egyptian museum and a souk.

If you get the option stay in the Old Winter Palace hotel and get a Nile view room. Fab hotel.

My guess is the reason for the cheap price is due to the bombings in Sharm el sheik & Dahab recently which is something you might want to take into consideration.

We loved Egypt. Its such a cheap county and the people are lovely.

Hi. I've been to Luxor in June a few years ago and it's extremly hot and humid. All your activities such as sight seeing would have to be done very early in the morning or late in the afternoon. I got prickly heat after a few days which I never had before or have had since.

hi,

i was there in April of this year and found it quite hot by then - high 30's. We stayed in the Hilton which was disappointing - more 3*s than 5. Luxor is a great spot to go to, we loved it but I was glad we didn't go any later as the heat would have been unbearable (for me - I burn very easily).

While Luxor was hot, the Valley of the Kings was unbelieveable - we were there for 7am and were constantly running to and from the bus for aircon :) ....and that was 2 months ago!

I was there in may -Luxor was hot but not really humid
aswan further south was getting a bit unbearable spent a lot of time in a/x room.
the sonesta (i was just in for a drink) seemed nice enough lovely view of the nile but I think from the sounds of what i have read i would be more tempted by the movenpick jolie if there are offers for that
The pool looked ok in teh sonesta but i wasnt really jealous

Luxor is nowhere near dahab so i wouldnt worry about
The security is very tight in areas like luxor -dahab was much more relaxed in that regard
Most hotels had security guards and metal detectors in that area
You can alway head up to cairo for a few days if you find it oppressive (heat or hassle wise) but its not the most relaxing there

Back