Effect of budget .

thedaras

Now that FF have taken another huge chunk of my income the result will be that I must reign in my spending ,even more.
There are a lot of people in my situation and I think this will lead to more job losses as the spare money we had left over is now gone.

After, morgage (fixed rate,so no gain from current cuts) ,car,insurance,car tax ,petrol,house insurance,life insurance,car loan,petrol, health insurance,food,tv licence,esb,gas,phone registration fees,school books ,uniforms ,confirmation,communion,birthdays and anything else which I cant think of right now, there was not a lot of cash left and now FF have taken that.

Something has to go,so where do I cut back? I would have gone for a meal once a month or it may have been a takeaway.

I would have brought the kids to the cinema the odd time and bought the teenager new clothes,had the odd visit to the hairdressers etc,and I would have gone on holidays once a year with the family so these things will now not happen,and a lot of people in my situation will do the same hence a lot of job losses hence more on the dole hence more tax cuts for us.

We are the ones that pay for the public sector and now we have to once again pay for the lack of balls that FF have to reform the public sector.

I think people should be angry and I believe that a lot will be when they open their wage packets in May.

Of course people will say well you should count your blessings,however FF are doing their best to take the "blessings",which have taken a lot of time and hard work to build up.They made a mess of things and as usual its the middle class whom are the heart and lungs of society that once again have to pay for their mismanagement.

Its hard to bother keep going....

Grow long hair and if you are a man grow a beard.

Wear underwear inside out to cut down on washing and electricity.

Have a row with your family to cut down on buying presents and going to pointless parties.

If you have children tell them santa lost his job in the budget and there will be no delivery.

Collect stray dogs and sell them to the local chinese.

Go for a meal and place your own brought fly in your soup towards the end and refuse to pay.

Fake your own death with a canoe and live a not very secert life in your own house while traveling to Panama to purchase a hotel.

At the risk of sounding like a complete nutcase... my life has been a lot better since I started counting my blessings. I'm far far worse off than 5 years ago financially and healthwise, but my happiness has increased at least 3-fold. I put this down to positive thinking, helped partly by this philosophy - http://www.thesecret.tv/
I haven't attracted millions, but then I haven't actually tried: money isn't the most important thing in my life, my family is. I could live in a cardboard box tomorrow and I'd still have them.
<I'll go keep a low profile now for the rest of the week.>

Yes - my first reaction on seeing the hit was 'where can I cut spending'. I thought that as well as 'the hit' we would have seen incentives to spend. Some are saying the increased DIRT and CGT is an incentive not to save, but I hardly think that will work.

I am willing to bear it (but not grin), but we really will need to see some improvement. My big fear is that VAT receipts will take a big loss now. Spare cash is gone. But hey ho - what can you do, eh?

Yes - my first reaction on seeing the hit was 'where can I cut spending'. I thought that as well as 'the hit' we would have seen incentives to spend. Some are saying the increased DIRT and CGT is an incentive not to save, but I hardly think that will work.

I am willing to bear it (but not grin), but we really will need to see some improvement. My big fear is that VAT receipts will take a big loss now. Spare cash is gone. But hey ho - what can you do, eh?

Problem is there is no disposable income left to spend,and then we will have more in December.
What can we do? Out FF...they caused it they should suffer the consequences..

After, morgage (fixed rate,so no gain from current cuts) ,car,insurance,car tax ,petrol,house insurance,life insurance,car loan,petrol, health insurance,food,tv licence,esb,gas,phone registration fees,school books ,uniforms ,confirmation,communion,birthdays and anything else which I cant think of right now, there was not a lot of cash left and now FF have taken that.

Not to stand up for them. But which of the above did they cause....your car loan ?? Phone fees ??? increase in car insurance ??? conformation, communion ???

We choose how we spend our money. If we get a big car loan or a fixed mortgage it is our fault. We choose to have big birthdays, pointless parties and eh the odd trip to the hairdressers.

I grew up with nothing, none of the above and am no worse off. Maybe we need to get back to basics.......i've had enough of the now generation. Disposable income is something new in this country. Not all of life can be a breeze and pleasure.

This is not personally at you but at our society in general.

Now that FF have taken another huge chunk of my income the result will be that I must reign in my spending ,even more.

We are the ones that pay for the public sector and now we have to once again pay for the lack of balls that FF have to reform the public sector.

You should note that public servants pay tax too...but in this curremt mood of blaming public servants for all our ills that is forgotten.. It should come as no surprise to you that FF are not a reforming party...the cuts and increases yesterday and last October are to fill the void left by the evaporation of construction related tax revenue.

Although the Gov have definitely made mistakes in recent times, I am starting to feel a bit sorry for them.

They have everyone on the opposition and in the public telling them they are doing everything wrong, including the Budget, yet one person has been able to tell them exactly how to solve the problems WITHOUT hitting us all with extra taxes and cut-backs.

Take FG - they said they could fill the hole in the finances WITHOUT increasing taxes. Absolute nonsense.

And then we have the public complaining about every increase implemented. We continue to hear that we are all ready to take the pain, but when the pain arrives then we get nothing but complaining. This country is on its knees and on the verge of bankruptcy, yet we still have the petty fighting between parties and the public wanting cutbacks, as long as its not to them.:rolleyes:

It reminds me of the Simpsons.

Where they wanted rid of the bears.....but then had a riot because of the bear tax !!!

Not to stand up for them. But which of the above did they cause....your car loan ?? Phone fees ??? increase in car insurance ??? conformation, communion ???

We choose how we spend our money. If we get a big car loan or a fixed mortgage it is our fault. We choose to have big birthdays, pointless parties and eh the odd trip to the hairdressers.

I grew up with nothing, none of the above and am no worse off. Maybe we need to get back to basics.......i've had enough of the now generation. Disposable income is something new in this country. Not all of life can be a breeze and pleasure.

This is not personally at you but at our society in general.

Are you suggesting a communist society?
Maybe we should have no disposable income,then again that disposable income is providing jobs,and no disposable income equals no jobs.figure that one out..
Maybe we should all chose to have a basic house,basic car,but I understood this to be a free society where we can better ourselves.
You grew up with nothing,is that what you want for everyone else.
The logical conclusion of your agurment is that we live in a communist society and we all know how that works!
I note that you have at the end of your posts,appolo djs,would you be happy to say that having a DJ would be unnessary,sure we could just sing instead and get back to basics.
Also if people have the disposable income to pay for a Dj,then its providing income for those DJs..if they dont the Djs dont get work and the circle contuinues..
Reality is that those with disposable income also pay the highest taxes ,they in turn pay for the public services and spend the most therfore providing jobs,cut that out of the economy and then we will really see the country on it knees.

Last edited:
No but is it the governments fault for everything. Was "basic" car or house mentioned ??

Its a free society correct, but if you can't budget correctly and earn the money to pay the bills is that the governments fault in this "free society".

In the past we have had no disposable income, do we have a right to it ???

Do you have a right to a b and c ?? NO

If you want a car, house, trips to the hair dressers, big birthdays etc thats your life. If you can't afford them its not the governments fault ?? Did they sign the papers for your fixed rate mortgage or car loan or tell you to go to pointless parties ??

The logical conclusion is you live within your means and if you can't go to the hair dressers etc......TOUGH

Everyone has lost money and has to cut back but is it just the goverments fault or have we been living beyond our means for a long time and now its all biting back ??

Although the Gov have definitely made mistakes in recent times, I am starting to feel a bit sorry for them.

They have everyone on the opposition and in the public telling them they are doing everything wrong, including the Budget,
yet one person has been able to tell them exactly how to solve the problems WITHOUT hitting us all with extra taxes and cut-backs.
Take FG - they said they could fill the hole in the finances WITHOUT increasing taxes. Absolute nonsense.

And then we have the public complaining about every increase implemented. We continue to hear that we are all ready to take the pain, but when the pain arrives then we get nothing but complaining. This country is on its knees and on the verge of bankruptcy, yet we still have the petty fighting between parties and the public wanting cutbacks, as long as its not to them.:rolleyes:

I was not voted in by the public to solve the problems which FF created.
They were voted in and they caused the problems.
Yet they are not prepared to do anything about the elephant in the room.

I dont think people are complaining for the sake of it,the reality is that FF made a balls of things and now we are paying for it.
It should not be as bad as it is.
As usual they hit the easy targets.

I was not voted in by the public to solve the problems which FF created.
They were voted in and they caused the problems.
Yet they are not prepared to do anything about the elephant in the room.

I dont think people are complaining for the sake of it,the reality is that FF made a balls of things and now we are paying for it.
It should not be as bad as it is.
As usual they hit the easy targets.

Did they pick a fixed rate mortgage ??

Did they decide to get a car loan ???

Did we overspend and have the highest rate of credit per person in Europe ??

So what you are saying is that FF are the only and sole group to blame for the economy ???

Are you saying that the ecenomic slow down world wide has nothing to do with it ??

Are you saying that the behaviour of the banks giving 100% mortgages and mortgages worth 10 or 12 times a persons salary are not to blame ???

We are all to blame and we all have to work together to get out of it.

Politicians will always mess things up......but we will always voting them in......

No but is it the governments fault for everything. Was "basic" car or house mentioned ??

Its a free society correct, but if you can't budget correctly and earn the money to pay the bills is that the governments fault in this "free society".

In the past we have had no disposable income, do we have a right to it ???

Do you have a right to a b and c ?? NO

If you want a car, house, trips to the hair dressers, big birthdays etc thats your life. If you can't afford them its not the governments fault ?? Did they sign the papers for your fixed rate mortgage or car loan or tell you to go to pointless parties ??

The logical conclusion is you live within your means and if you can't go to the hair dressers etc......TOUGH

Everyone has lost money and has to cut back but is it just the goverments fault or have we been living beyond our means for a long time and now its all biting back ??
Tell me this then ,should everyone not buy a house car etc,just in case the goverment decide to take the money which was budgeted for?
Re trips to hairdressers etc,it is the goverments fault that some of us can now not afford them.we worked hard to earn the money and they have now taken it away.
You are being riduclous asking if they signed papers for fixed rate morgages etc,but what they did do was sign off on hugh public sector bills.I obviously signed my fixed rate morgage,BASED on my income,however FF have now erroded that.
How do you determine living beyond our means?
How do you think people can afford to hire DJs? ahh disposable income? oh but thats living beyond our means..
I did and do earn the money to pay morgage bills etc,but FF have decided that they will stop that and not allow me to keep the money Ive earned and budgeted while paying a hugh amount of taxes.
The logical conclusion of your argument is that no one should buy anything just in case FF decide we have too much

Back