Eee PC - Asus. Any recommendations?

BOXtheFOX

Can anyone recommend where I might purchase one of these? Are there any hybrids out there that combine Internet Access and a DVD player without having to purchase a laptop?

Could I get a 7" laptop or even a 10" laptop for €320? I would even jump at a 13" laptop at that price? Can you advise where I might get one? Thanks.

From checking around that is the approximate price of the EEE PC's. You said that I would get a fully working laptop for much the same price?.

and the likes have fully featured lap tops starting at a little over €365. You can't compare these to the Eee PCs though, the E PCs have no DVD drives, no hard drive (usues flash memory), run linux OS, etc., etc.

Conclusion, go with a lap top!
Leo

From checking around that is the approximate price of the EEE PC's. You said that I would get a fully working laptop for much the same price?.

Actually I meant what you asked for "hybrids with DVD player". The EEE doesn't have a DVD drive so I wasn't considering that. The EEE is a very portable but it has limitations like the small screen, poor battery life and no internal DVD drive. So its actually not as portable or as useful as small laptop. if your happy with those compromises then go with the EEE. For me I went with a XPS1330 from the Dell outlet. 13" DualCore2 1.6 (I think) 2GB Ram, 160GB HD, WiFi, Bluetooth, DVDRW drive and even a remote control for the DVD. Battery life is 3~4 hours. Cost €520 incl VAT and del. I also got for a friend a 15" 6400 same spec for €410 incl Vat and Del.

Obviously if you are going to carry it around all day then I'd go with the EEE, but you'll need to carry an extra battery or recharge it a lot. You'll have to decide if a DVD drive is a must have or not. Or exactly how you intend using the machine you buy.

Comparing a Laptop with a Netbook is like comparing an apple with an orange.

I have an Asus 901 and would give it 10 out 10.
Has a 20gb sshd (wow) and a 6 cell battery that lasts an amazing 8 hours.
I use linux ubunbtu because I am a man!!!

This thread is 7 months old. At that time the battery life on the Netbooks wasn't very good. They've improved a lot in the meantime. Though they've grown in size so some are as big as the smaller laptops.

This thread is 7 months old. At that time the battery life on the Netbooks wasn't very good. They've improved a lot in the meantime. Though they've grown in size so some are as big as the smaller laptops.

Ur missing the point here Asus are bringing out a new all day battery soon, laptops are laptops netbooks are netbooks comprendo!!!

Good to know - wasn't sure from your user ID.

Ur missing the point here also, just trying to say i'm not going to pay extra 4 microsoft os( 50+ euros)when linux is better, even though I might have 2 learn a few xtra commands lol!

Ur missing the point here also, just trying to say i'm not going to pay extra 4 microsoft os( 50+ euros)when linux is better, even though I might have 2 learn a few xtra commands lol!
How much do English lessons cost?

Ur missing the point here Asus are bringing out a new all day battery soon, laptops are laptops netbooks are netbooks comprendo!!!

No comprendo. The whole point of a netbook is a take anywhere computer thats very small for light tasks. Whats the point if the battery last only an hour or so. Even if the AC adapter is small. Now 7 months later from the earlier posts, netbooks have improved enormously, battery life has improved they are a lot more useful. The OP wanted a DVD drive. Netbooks don't have them.

What ur saying is wrong, when is surfing the super information highway a light task?? I run my business from a netbook.

Christ have u never heard of a usb external dvd drive, I''l give the link to buy one if u want!!!

Please read up a little more on netbooks before posting more misinformation.

What ur saying is wrong, when is surfing the super information highway a light task?? I run my business from a netbook.

I assume thats meant to be funny. But I'll humor you, in case you're actually serious.

One things got nothing to do with the other. Its light task because it demands very little computing power. Hence why the netbooks have very basic specs. Nothing to do with running a business.

Or its because it doesn't weight very much.

Christ have u never heard of a usb external dvd drive, I''l give the link to buy one if u want!!!

Combining two seperate devices into two seperate devices is a new take on the word combine.

Please read up a little more on netbooks before posting more misinformation.

Thats just crazy. Next you'll want people to actually read the questions asked, and check the dates in context before replying.

It will never catch on.