Edinburgh

niceoneted

I'm planning on heading to Edinburgh in a few weeks, have never been before but hear it is great. How long is enough time to see things there? 3/4 days?
Any recommendations on Hotels something nice maybe with a pool/leisure centre/spa. I'm treating myself!
Thanks in advance.

Hi

A gang of us were in Edinburgh in November for the weekend to take in a few matches. Beautiful, compact, historic, and hilly (in the old town).
Reminded me of Paris I have to say !!
Stayed in the Radisson SAS at a brilliant location on the Royal Mile - perfect as a base for walking the city. Picked it as it was a 4* in a good location with pool etc. However, if going again would probably stay in the 3* Ibis around the corner for half the price ! The rate we got in the Radisson was 130 GBP for a twin room including breakfast.
I used the forum at Tripadvisor.com for info which was brilliant with lots of very helpful and friendly posters. You can check out reviews of the hotel and others there which I found very useful.
I am not sure if I would put the Raddison in the 'treat yourself' category.
For that price there must be better 4* star hotels in the city.
Timewise, it really depends how much you want to see. But there are some great websites with recommended itinaries for different lengths of stay - do a google. I recall that www.visitscotland.com is one.
There are also the usual hop on / off bus tours which are handy for getting one's bearings !!

I have been a few times and have rented an apartment for a few days with glen house apartment

George Hook already covered Edinburgh with Fionn Davenport in the travel section of his show. Just email the station and they will send you the details.

[broken link removed]

The thing I like about this part of the show is that you get the destination warts and all.

Murt

Thanks guys, Cloeen have you a web site for those apartments. Although I think a nice hotel is what I'm really after.

Hi, I go to Edinburgh regularly and the nicest hotel by far in my opinion is the Sheraton on Lothian Road. Fabulous spa also. Very close to all tourist attractions.

Thanks for the replys. I have most of it booked up at this stage. I'll let you know if I have any good recommendations on my return.

The Three Sisters is a typical tourist bar that would make you think you're in Temple Bar. Espionage is one of the night clubs, but be warned, its over 4 flours...so you go in on one street, you go down 4 floors and you can go out on another street. Very confusing if you're there and are pretty drunk. Lots to see: the Castle which is visible from most of city centre, Royal mile, walking tours, Zoo etc etc.

Back