EcoTec Timber Frame Company

Demps

Anyone have any experience of using the above company. Seem to be based in Armagh and as well as offering TF which is claimed as having 20% on average than other kits - they also can provide a full turnkey package, including geothermal, solar etc.

Any feedback appreciated.

Demps, if you're going the timberframe route, I'd advise getting an independant expert (maybe pay a contactor a fee for advice or just approach one with a list of questions) to advise you want to watch out for. There are an awful lot of things to watch out for at the quote stage which have a big impact on the price, e.g.
- soapbar timber or block
- insulation
- sunroom some t/f don't do them
- wet plasterboard
- chimney prefab or block
- windows/blocklayers before or after windows
- raft to floor level
- radon barrier
- support for any corner windows
- screed and door frames
- ceiling heights and door widths 33" i fbuying from north
- barges?
- width of rafters/studs on t/f
- crane hire for t/f
- time delay on t/f
- scaffold hire on t/f buy it not rent
- t/f expert to check t/f independant of t/f company
- make sure t/f allow for stone on walls with soffit
- use breathable felt on roof
- check t/f drawings 10 times for windows, doors etc, far easier to change in factory. your plans were probably drawn up by engineer used to block, t/f gives you more scope.
- specify thick boards for soffit with t/f not plywood
- lots of insulation
- t/f is not cheaper and unless it's a housing estate, it's not quicker either. i'd still go for it for insulation tho'
- our build took 15 months from the day the digging started.
just finished now but there are a lot of things I would have changed if I had known, used Younger Homes from Derry

just to a few more

- double soleplate (this is not done in Ireland as standard, but improves the pumbing and alignment of the whole kit) This is best practice but most companys shy away from it.
- Fasica & Soffit suports
- Studs at 400 c/c (best practice)
- Roof trusses at 400 c/c (best practice)

Also what joisting system do this t/f company use? This also has a knock on effect on the cost of following on trades

Jaid

Thanks Guys - very useful info. to be armed with

Meeting them next week and will revert with comments