Economical flights to India

Check out kayak.com and skyscanner.net. Also, give trailfinders a call. I've often found they could beat prices I got online, and they give good advice re airlines etc.

As above, but also bear in mind transfer times if that matters to you. I went with Etihad to Bangalore, they were a little more expensive than others but I preferred going on 1 ticket with a short turn-around in Abu Dhabi rather than relying on another airline to get me to either Frankfurt or Heathrow. Found Etihad very good.

Also if time isn't a priority check out your cheapest option to India and then get a ticket with Kingfisher or one of the other cheap airlines for internal flights, you can fly around India fairly cheaply.

@ horusd, dereko1969 thank you for the suggestions. I wanted to avoid going to UK to catch flights as I read somewhere they are going to increase tax on UK flights. I was also looking at Etihad, but someone told me that at Abu Dhabi I will have to walk for around 20 minutes to catch the connecting flight. Is it practical with a toddler? And is it safe? I was just getting concerned with the problems some Middle East countries are facing lately. Has anyone tried Turkish Airlines?

My dad lives in India and always flies with Lufthansa via Frankfurt as he doesnt like going via London. He usually books it through a travel agent

I would think it is practical with a toddler, they're renovating the area that serves the Indian flights at the moment so I'd say it would be even better in a few months. 20 minutes isn't long to walk really you'd do that here going to what was Area D in Dublin Airport, there are some travelators and escalators so I can't see it being an issue really. If you're just travelling through I can't see security being an issue, the authorities usually make sure the airport is one of the first things safeguarded when demonstrations occur and it's also a good bit out of "town".

I would have thought that flying via Turkey would be a very long journey.

Has anyone used Jet Airways to fly to India. Checking flights and they fly direct to Delhi from Heathrow overnight. They are working out much cheaper than other airlines but I am wondering why ? Googled and they get mixed reviews just wondering if anyone has flown with them on international flights from London ?

I used Jet Airways to fly on internal flights in India but never long haul. I found them fine.
From what I remember they were seen as one of the better indian airlines at the time.

I wish I was going back to India!

Jet and Kingfisher are the two largest private Indian airlines that operate internationally .. both are pretty decent .. so if you get a good price with them then they're absolutely fine.

Thanks for that

Just checking flights out still. Was dealing with trailfinders and prices they give me for flights not matching flight prices on skyscanner. Dont want to pay the full fee up front but trailfinders are saying that Jet Airways,Kingfisher would need to be paid in full along with other airlines like Air France, KLM, British Airways seems strange for a flight in October ? Looking at Virgin airlines and known people who have used them to India. Have used them myself flying elsewhere and pretty good. Still looking and may just see what other agents quote me on prices

I don't think you'll find many airlines these days who won't want your € upfront .. in general the days of being able to make reservations but not ticket them until closer to departure are gone on cheaper tickets ... most of them require ticketing within 72(?)hours and ticketing requires payment .. of course you can take a chance that prices won't go up much and book closer to the time ... given October isn't peak season that's probably not an unreasonable gamble to take

Heard Virgin has a tie up with Jet airways. So probably it would be a Jet airways flight even if you book through Virgin..check it