Ecoballs- do they work well?

ninsaga

I'm looking at the greener side of life & came across Ecoballs - used instead of washing machine detergent. Anyone use them -are they any good?

ninsaga

I thought they were used instead of tumble drier sheets - they are knobbly balls the size of your fist and they are meant to soften your wash.....

Equally if you have knobbly balls the size of your fist I'd see a doctor also.

My wife has a pair of these balls - one prickly pink the other a blue spotty which she used in the tumble dryer...apparently beating up clothes with prickly and spotty balls helps your clothes dry faster !!!

Green balls? I'd probably see a doctor.

...... they are knobbly balls the size of your fist and they are meant to soften your wash.....

Equally if you have knobbly balls the size of your fist I'd see a doctor also.

....... nothing green & knobbly thankfully

So yes EcoBalls are supposed to be an alternative to using detergents ....have seen mixed reviews on this...mostly OK to good... a few citing that they are no diff than using no detergent at all.... (as well as some saying that with or without detergent does not even make a difference for normal non heavily soiled loads)

.... just wanted to see if people had ggod/bad experiences of it here.....

ninsaga
(jeez I gotta get out more often!)

We tried to use these a few years ago, they were better than washing with pure water but it was probably more like banging your clothes off rocks. Not great at getting grease or odour from the clothes but maybe we gave up too soon, would be interested if people have had better experiences with them.

In terms of ecological washing ecover have a very good range of environmentally friendly detergents

i used them for a while and thought they were grand on the normal stuff, have never tried washing clothes without 'anything' in the machine so can't compare. only thing is you don't get the synthetic 'just washed' smell from detergents so you may miss that but i think there are environmentally friendly products you can use to add that.

I haven't tried the Ecoballs because I thought they were a bit expensive. I use these though:
http://www.soapods.com/
You can add a few tiny drops of lavender oil if you want a scent from the wash.
They seem to work. For stains on whites, they're not great so I usually put a little bit of Ace on shirt collars before I put them in the machine. They are fine for colour washes though.

Can they be found cheaper than that elsewhere?

.... all the diff places that I saw them online had them retailing for £34.99

Mrs ninsaga is keen to give 'em a go but as to nicelives point...some other boards/blogs also recommend ecover products to be used along side - especially for heavily soiled loads....

again most of the boards/blogs have given the spikey dryer balls positive reviews - so may get them alright.

ninsaga