Eating out - What you want versus what you get!!

seriams

Recently I found out that I was wheat intolerant so now when I eat out I need to steer clear of bread. I won’t go into details but basically in my local deli I was told that if I were to order soup – I would get soup and brown bread for €3.95 and that they couldn’t give me anything to substitute the brown bread and that I would have to pay €3.95 even if I did not ‘want’ bread.

It wasn’t a matter of want; I love bread but have no choice. The same applied had I wanted their yummy salad bowl that comes with bread. Even though I couldn’t eat the bread I would be charged and they couldn’t instead offer me soup or discount or give me soup and add on the difference.

Am I being unreasonable? It’s only now that I have to steer clear of wheat that I have noticed how our nation put up with these absolutely ridiculous menu rules. Surely you should be allowed to eat what you want when you want it. As for me? I’m sticking to my packed lunch!!

Surely you should be allowed to eat what you want when you want it. As for me? I’m sticking to my packed lunch!!

And I guess they can argue that surely they can charge what they want when they want to. Your unfortunatley in the minority ( as in can't have bread) so they won't change the rules, even though good customer service would suggest they do make a concession.

You are being unreasonable in describing the situation as "ridiculous" in my opinion. It's hardly "ridiculous" for a vendor to have a fixed price for a set meal and not offer any variations or discounts for omissions? Maybe it doesn't suit everybody but in that case there are obviously other options such as the one that you seem to have chosen.
Surely you should be allowed to eat what you want when you want it.
Try asking for caviar in your local chipper and let us know how you get on.
As for me? I’m sticking to my packed lunch!!
Not a bad solution.

Just out of curiosity - did you inform the management of the establishment in question that you considered their menu policies "ridiculous"?

It could be a different culture is at play here. I suspect the OP may be American, and in my experience in The States you can in most places create your own meal. You can specify what you would like (according to what is on their menu) and you get what you order along with a friendly smile

They could possibly get people starting to say, either I dont't want the bread, saying they are wheat intolerant, etc, can you charge less, or can I have one slice or two, etc and there would become too many variations.

A place near us does a set soup and sambo for whatever. Its a set price. The sandwiches could kill a horse. I am only able to eat half, does that mean I can say, just give me soup and a half sandwich and charge me less.

Our local garage put up a sign saying "no half sandwiches"

Agree with Clubman on this one.

A place near us does a set soup and sambo for whatever. Its a set price. The sandwiches could kill a horse.
Have you considered reporting them to the FSAI? Or maybe the DSPCA? Or at least making a funny "You've Been Framed" video?
Our local garage put up a sign saying "no half sandwiches"
My local joke shop put up a sign saying "no half wits".

Mrs Caveat is a veggie, and on occasion is in the position where she has to order the "dinner but without the meat".

I don't think it's unfair to expect a reduction in these circumstances - but we often have to argue to get it.

Clubman - I went with the salad. It was the only salad on the menu - there were no options!!

Shnaek - I'm Irish thanks, but perhaps I'd be better off in America!!

You know I've been listening to the news and seeing the reports where different countries are striking due to the rise in fuel costs, if my replies are anything to go by, I can see why the Irish haven't stood up and joined them. Please continue to be taken for a ride by all means

Clubman - I went with the salad. It was the only salad on the menu - there were no options!!
I meant this option:
As for me? I’m sticking to my packed lunch!!
Total non sequitur. Nobody said that people who didn't like the "no substitutions/reductions" rules on menus had to grin and bear it. There are lots of options open to them as you yourself have shown. They can voice their dissatisfaction (you never told us - did you, or did you just grin and bear it and take the salad?), take their custom elsewhere, prepare their own lunch etc.

Just because people disagree with you does not mean anyone is being taken for a ride.

In response to your question...

Am I being unreasonable?

.... the answer is NO, you're not. It's a pain in the neck having to pay for something you can't consume.

However, the more pertinent question might be "Is the restaurant obliged to take my food intolerance into account?". The answer is that while you might like to think they would, they're not obliged to.

In the circumstances, you might want to seek out some alternative eateries that adopt a more flexible approach or, as you've mentioned, make your own meals.

Well said and nicely said....somebody make that man a Mod