Eating out in Sorrento

ciara_gmail

Can anyone tell me if its cheap/expensive to eat out in Sorrento? Just an average guide! I've friends and relatives who have been maybe 3/4 years ago and said it was cheap then but more recently, what are prices like?

Also does anyone know of any decent cheap hotels there? We've booked into the Caravel for a week (last wk in July) and its costing a fair bit! Hopefully thought what we spend on accom, we will make up for with cheap meals out!!

A lot of the hotels in Sorrento (and Italy for that matter) do half board as standard, it seems to be their thing there. We were there in 2003 and stayed in the Bristol - it's just outside Sorrento. Half board is ok, wouldn't win any prizes, I would say just about ok.

We only ate out one or 2 nights, found it fairly reasonable, not cheap like Spain is. Probably about 80% of what you'd spend here on a typical meal. Drinks were generally the same as here - maybe €4 for a bottle of beer. There's a really nice bar in the centre of Sorrento called Fauna - the people watching and the service there is pretty good.

We ate in one place near the old harbour, it is a bit away from Sorrento town center, it is build on a pontoon / floating restaurant, off the beaten track and full of locals. Can't remember the name though...

So its not so cheap after all! I was expecting beer to be the same but ive heard that wine is very cheap over there, italian of course! Im surprised its 80% of a meal here, I would consider that very expensive. Thanks for the info anyway

In the main square in Sorrento ,there is a really great restaurant-always crowded(with locals) & a great atmosphere.As you approach the square from the north,it's on your left side-you'll see it as it will be full!

stayed at the Bristol last year, pretty expensive to stay half board and thought food was just grand! as such didn't go out for evening meal but you can eat cheaply durning the day...pizzas etc

as for the wine...very cheap to buy in supermaket but not so cheap when out! same as here really i felt, approx €15-20 for bottle in a bar!! minerals are VERY expensive, €2 for a can of coke! not the place to go if you are watching the pennies! but whats money when you are relaxing under the sun, sitting in the piazza watching the world go by....bliss!!!

In fairness I'd rather pay €4 for a beer there then the contempt you get in most places in Dublin.....

Absolutely,there's very little difference in price & as for surroundings,give me southern Italy any day of the week!

quinno said:
In fairness I'd rather pay €4 for a beer there then the contempt you get in most places in Dublin.....

you'll get plenty on contempt in Italy too!!! it seemed like a chore to take an order, tips were greeting with a sneer.....i loved every moment of it!!!

Back