easy to take up carpet + re-lay ?

scuby

Hi there

I need to take up a carpet in 2 bed rooms from the wall to the centre of the floor and some on the landing, as the floor boards are a little loose underneath. just need to put a few screws into them to secure them.

Just wondering has anyone done this before and is it as easy as lifting it from the wodden slats that are currently holding it in place. (i know there is a more tech. term for those slats !) and then putting it back...

thanks

What "slats"? I would have expected the carpet to be kept in place using carpet grippers screwed into the flooring around the edge of the room? Relaying a carpet to stretch it correctly and be held in place with these grippers involves a bit of knack as far as I know. You may also need a carpet stretching tool to do this properly. Might be better to get a professional to relay it.

thanks for that.
well i did say i did not know the tech term for them, now i know....
carpet Grippers..wooden slat with nails - [broken link removed]
might go call the guys that i bought the carpet from and ask them for the fitters no, and see what would he charge..

A lot might depend on how much of the carpet you need to take back - if it's only from one wall for example there shouldn't really be any problems refitting it correctly.