Easons cheaper than The Book Depository with their Black Friday offering

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I always use the Book Depository for new books as they seem cheaper than everywhere else.

But Eason's are giving 30% off with the code Black and it works out cheaper.

Brendan

mathepac

Frequent Poster
Are Eason's still insisting on the €5 delivery charge? I buy at home where possible, but that charge rendered them uncompetitive.

gipimann

Frequent Poster
According to a post in the Bargain Alerts thread on boards.ie, entering THREE33 will get you 33% off at Eason. Haven't tested it so can't confirm!

@mathepac, here are the current delivery charges from the Eason website

Delivery Charges – Under €10
Ireland & UK – €3.80
Europe & USA – €10
Australia & Canada – €15
Rest of World – €25
Delivery Charges – Over €10
Ireland & UK – FREE*
Europe & USA – €10
Australia & Canada – €15
Rest of World – €25
*Free delivery on all orders over €10 (Ireland & UK only) - only applies to order total for physical books.

MugsGame

Frequent Poser
Has anyone ordered online from Easons recently and had a good experience?

I ordered an in stock book as a birthday present and expected it to be dispatched by now. If I'd ordered from Amazon, I'd have it by now, but I decided to support an Irish business.

I've made allowances for COVID. The Easons website is awful - I can't even get the order status page to load even in the middle of the night when it should be quiet. And I'm not alone https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.easons.com

dereko1969

Frequent Poster
I ordered a book recently and didn't notice any delays with it, but I wasn't in a rush to receive it so may not have noticed. Website isn't great, but I'm with 3 and they have 5e vouchers and 15% off codes that can be used together so makes it well worthwhile ordering.

NiallSparky

I ordered a couple of books from Eason recently and they were very quick on delivery.

That said, I do find their catalogue quite limited, and mainly just covers Bestseller sorts well. I've generally been using Dubray or Gutter Bookshop of late for either Click & Collect or else delivery.

MugsGame

Frequent Poser
So ... Easons actually shipped my package on Friday but only emailed me with details today. Very strange. Maybe the slowness of their website is mirrored in their backend systems.

I'd prefer to have used a smaller bookseller, but it's an unusual item.

thewire2020

Have had pretty similar experience, website is awful, slow , cannot access history. I was chasing orders that did ship but no notification. Contacted customer support and got the usual very busy blah blah . Also no option to send a book as gift which I also queried

Reboot

I have stopped using the Easons website. In any case, it seems like making the effort to support Irish by using Easons.com is only marginally better than using multi-nationals like Amazon or Book Depository.
It will help Easons overall, but it's unlikely to help keep your local Easons Branch open.

ATC110

Frequent Poster
Is Book Depository cheaper than Amazon?

Also, are people still buying books rather than using an e-reader such as Kindle?

Seagull

Frequent Poster
I find book depository generally cheaper than amazon when postage is factored in. If you can get free delivery, amazon is quite often slightly cheaper.

Purple

Frequent Poster
I used Easons click and collect for school books for the kids this year and they were an unmitigated disaster. Four trips to the shop to collect after getting mails to say the books were there only to find that they weren't. Rubbish customer service. I'll never use them again for anything.