earn 12% on deposit

monkeyboy

If you can open a UK acc its worth looking at this one........

2. Alliance & Leicester Premier Regular Saver 4
The great rate: 12% AER, fixed for a year

The catch: You can pay in £10 to £250 a month for one year, with no withdrawals. This account is only available to new A&L Premier Current Account customers who have not had an A&L current account in the previous three months.

Gimmick rating: 8/10. This is not an outright gimmick, because A&L's new generation of current accounts are far better than the traditional accounts offered by its high-street rivals. Although the Premier Current Account offers a 0% overdraft for a year and 7.9% AER thereafter, it pays only 1.50% AER on credit balances under £2,500 and 0.10% AER on any excess balance over £2,500. The Alliance & Leicester Premier Direct current account is miles better.

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/your-mon...-strings-attached.aspx?source=ioowftxt0010011

So, the most you can deposit is stg£3,000 (12 x £250).

The average period for which the money would be on deposit would be 6 months, so you'd get roughly 6% return on your £3,000, or £180.

The £180 would be subject to tax at your marginal rate, 41% for taxpayers on the higher rate, as opposed to 20% DIRT on an Irish-based deposit account.

In my view, absolutely not worth the hassle for the return involved.

PS, don't forget also you'd have to convert your Euros into Sterling to fund the account. So you'd be running an exchange rate risk as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, the most you can deposit is stg£3,000 (12 x £250).

The average period for which the money would be on deposit would be 6 months, so you'd get roughly 6% return on your £3,000, or £180.

The £180 would be subject to tax at your marginal rate, 41% for taxpayers on the higher rate, as opposed to 20% DIRT on an Irish-based deposit account.

In my view, absolutely not worth the hassle for the return involved.

...I would apply for it but don't you need residence/proof of address in UK to apply for this sorry? :confused:

Back