Earlswood Court - Telecommunications

brian1

I'm thinking of buying an apartment in the Earlswood Court development near Ashtown and I was wondering if anyone knows what the telecommunications infrastructure is like there?

What type of TV service (Sat, cable or MMDS) and supplied by who (NTL)?
Is Broadband available there (DSL, cable BB, etc)?

The reason I ask is that I work in IT and often work from home, so BB availability is very important to me. I've a colleague living in Royal Canal Bank, next to Earlswood and he can't get any BB, not good.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this sort of question.

BTW anyone have any opinions on the development and area?

Thanks

I live just up the road in (compas court south) royal canal park, its the same place but it does have different developers *i think*
The services in the area are dreadful
For starters, youre not allowed to attach any dishes and antenas to the outside of your apartment - meaning youre limited to cable tv and internet
Ripwave is not available in the area and irish broadband wont come down because they have been warned about attaching antenas to apartments
Eircom havent upgraded the exchange in the area so their BB package is out of the question
They dont have NTL either, its a basic package run by a crowd called cablewatch - very poor selection
Cablewatch also run the only 'broadband' pack thats available "at the moment"
Its a half a meg line for 40 euros a month,
max download speed i ever got out of it was 50kbps
dreadful

Hi,

I live in Earlswood in a 3 bed Duplex.

We had similar problems with the lack of options in terms of Telcommunications.

We ended up going for the SMART Package of TV, Phone and 2MB BB.
Its a little bit expensive @ approx 150 per month for all 3, and we have had problems with the TV but the BB is fine. I also work from home somedays without any BB problems.

We couldnt get Ericom or NTL broadband so we had to go with Smart as the wiring in the house was done be Smart.

there are a lot of these small cable companies nowadays, makes me feel all warm and gooey for NTL. your provider could be magnet, smart, e-nvi, cablewatch, broadworks or others.

the worst shower I ever heard of are conway

claret_dub said:
We ended up going for the SMART Package of TV, Phone and 2MB BB.
Its a little bit expensive @ approx 150 per month for all 3, and we have had problems with the TV but the BB is fine. I also work from home somedays without any BB problems.
I assume this is the SmartVision service, I would be interested in hearing your views on it.

Can you get the TV service into multiple rooms, with the ability to watch different channels at the same time and how much does each extra room cost?

What were the problems you had with the TV service?

Can you get the BB and phone without the TV service and for how much?

It seems very expensive, a similar service from NTL costs only €70, with far more channels. BTW you should take a look at this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51155346&postcount=8 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51158786&postcount=11

This guy lived in a place with only Sky Conway, but after lots of complaining can now get NTL. It seems NTL will wire a building with no cost to the owners or management company.

just a pointer.... I dont know whether the Smartvision pack is available in the Earlswood apts..... my mate lives in one of these and he has Cablewatch TV without any landline or BB.

The problem I have with Smart TV relates to the set top boxes...the main one is dodgy.. picture keeps jumping and only settles when I hit it! The other set top box I have hasnt worked since it was installed.... I have been on to Smart numerous times and I'm still waiting for a technician to call out.

You will need a set top box for each TV... but my house only has 2 TV points... I upstairs in Master bdrm and 1 downstairs in sit room ... this is fine with me except I want the TV in a different Bedroom and I have to run a wire along the carpet from the TV point, but as I said earlier this box doesnt work yet so I havent had a chance to comment on the usefullness of this. The BB modem is connected to the set top box... I dont have wireless yet but I'm told its possible. I'm not sure whether you can get BB without the TV, I think its possible to have it without the Landline though.

I did check with NTL but they told me it wasnt possible to get it yet and the mmds service is also not ready for this area yet.

The SmartVision package (when it works ok) is fine with me for now... I have it in my head to check other possibilities when the whole area is developed and then maybe other options will be available.

NTL are always excluded by these small cable co's.

They negotiate an exclusive deal with the builder with kickback clause and no NTL clause.

If you hear your cable TV supplier is ANYTHING apart from NTL or Chorus (imagine feeling good vibes for Chorus??) then be VERY afraid and make sure you have an eircom phone line to get around these clowns.

NTL are always excluded by these small cable co's.

They negotiate an exclusive deal with the builder with kickback clause and no NTL clause.
Are you saying that the builder gets a kickback from the small guy's revenue on each development? The crowd in Earlswood/RCP/Rathborne are particularly terrible (they also do Tullyvale in Cabinteely), the TV feed seems to be someone's digital feed, they can't get you movie packs, the picture is terrible and their broadband is abysmal. The problem is that in the 4 developments mentioned above Eircom have not yet upgraded exchanges, IBB, Digiweb etc don't have lines of sight - so there is nothing that can be done.
I can't understand why the developers would allow these cowboys in (kickback or not), surely they want to promote hi-tech developments when they're marketing these units?
As mentioned before, the really scarey thing is that people can't wait of eircom/NTL to become available!!

Glenbhoy said:
Are you saying that the builder gets a kickback from the small guy's revenue on each development?
yes.
I can't understand why the developers would allow these cowboys in (kickback or not), surely they want to promote hi-tech developments when they're marketing these units?
One lot, e-nvi, install CAT 6 cable and then provide no Broadband over it. TV only. Builder reckons CAT6 _IS_ high tech and is right on that in fairness :D Builders marketing fuks coo about the CAT6 being installed, its not false advertising because it is there.
As mentioned before, the really scarey thing is that people can't wait of eircom/NTL to become available!!
gentlemen the pair of them are ...compared to the alternatives.

Back