E-Bay registration

redbhoy

Im just about to open an account with ebay and on the registration application it asks for credit card details. It wants the number, expiry date and the security pin at back of card. Is this normal?

I don't think I had to give these details when I registered - in fact I'm sure I didn't as I didn't have a CC at the time! Maybe you're setting up a PayPal account?

I already have a paypal account. This was on the registration for ebay. After all my details went in, it directs me to a new screen to "Confirm Identity" - to keep ebay safe?

I can not be sure but I think I had to do something similar to verify my location. For this they charge a small amount to your a/c, which will then appear on your cc bill with a line of digits. You then enter in the last four. This then confirms your location. Your a/c is then credited. Does this sound familiar?

The small charge/refund to get a code number was used on my Paypal Account when I wanted to increase the amount of payments I could make.

redbhoy said:
Im just about to open an account with ebay and on the registration application it asks for credit card details. It wants the number, expiry date and the security pin at back of card. Is this normal?

it is normal to sell , not to just buy.. unless they are getting you a palpay account too...

What Amygdala was talking about sounds like a PayPal account. I definitely didn't have to give CC details but I only registered as a buyer so maybe you need to provide them with this info if you want to become a seller. I would still be very careful, I have heard of a few scams on EBay recently so I wouldn't disclose any CC details without checking it out first.

Ive read a bit about the ebay scams and thats why i was wary of this. Im only registering as a buyer not a seller. I dont understand why they need the 3 details to verify your identification though. Ive checked and rechecked and it does seem manditory to register.
Thanks for the replies

Hel_n said:
What Amygdala was talking about sounds like a PayPal account. I definitely didn't have to give CC details but I only registered as a buyer so maybe you need to provide them with this info if you want to become a seller. I would still be very careful, I have heard of a few scams on EBay recently so I wouldn't disclose any CC details without checking it out first.

It is normal is you are registering with a yahoo or hotmail account.

If you use a free web service email address to sign up then they take details of a credit/debit card as proof

Back