Dying Without Making A Will

fionn2011

I know that it is vital to make a will, but I have the following query.

Say one member of a married couple dies, without having made a will. They have 2 children. I am aware that 2/3ths goes to the surviving spouse and 1/3 goes to the kids. Q:What about jointly held assets, such as the family home held in both names & joint bank accounts. Are the kids entitled to 1/3 of these as well?

Any use?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/before_a_death/making_a_will.html

Will substitutes

Joint bank accounts or joint ownership of property are valid ways of deciding the fate of your assets in your own lifetime, but making a will can eliminate most potential disputes.

Joint bank accounts

Where joint bank accounts are opened with a spouse/civil partner or child, it is presumed that one party will be fully entitled to the money in the account when the other party dies. Disputes can arise, however, if someone, perhaps an elderly person or a person with a physical disability, opens a joint bank account with a relative or friend so that the relative or friend can manage his or her finances for him or her. This is because the owner's intention may or may not have been to benefit the relative or friend. A decision in such a case would depend on the intention of the people involved, the amount they each lodged into the account and the terms of their contract with the bank. It is advisable for people with joint accounts to make clear in their contract with their bank or in their will what their intentions are for the money in such accounts.

Ok, so joint bank accounts go 100% to surviving spouse but how about jointly held family home?

Any use?

[broken link removed]

Q. What happens to the family home after the death of a spouse?

A. If you and your spouse jointly own the house, then you automatically become the owner. If your spouse was the legal owner then you may require that the [broken link removed] be given to you as part of your legal right share.

Back