DVDs

F

FarneyMan

If i buy imported asian dvds, does that mean they are NTSC format ? If so, do i need an NTSC compatible Tv and DVD player to watch them !?

Wouldn't be a guru on this. You do need a DVD player that plays NTSC ( most american dvds are in this format ). Most DVD players play NTSC as well as PAL but I'd check the spec of your machine before ordering. You will most likely need a multi-region DVD player also unless they are dodgy dvds that play on all regions.

You need to research this a bit to make sure you don't end up with something that you can't play or doesn't work quite right. Unfortunately my knowledge of this stuff is quite rusty but you should be careful of (a) not being able to deal with the NTSC format at all and (b) having some level of compatibility but having significant degradation in picture quality or disabled features (often due to the NTSC to PAL conversion). I'm sure that there are loads of sites out there with more detailed technical information if you try Google.

ntsc pal

All Pal European Dvd players can play both NTSC and PAL discs. But this is separate to Region encoding. Even if you have a non multi region dvd player it will be able to read the dvd but tell you it's the wrong region. So ignore the Pal/NTSC issue and just check that the player is region free.
(I believe that most NTSC players however, cannot play PAL discs).