DVD wont work on Phillips Plasma TV

Tonash

Hi, basically the title is self explanatory!

Bought a new DVD player, have perfect picture but no sound. Thought it was the DVD player so retrurned it to the shop but it worked perfectly for them!
Borrowed a different DVD player from a friend.......same thing......perfect picture no sound. Also tried 2 different scart leads (both new) but no luck.

Anyone any idea what could be wrong? Ta in advance!

It may be a problem with the scart socket on the tv ... have you more than 1 scart connection ? Or can you use the red, yellow and white cables instead (audion, video and something else) ?

Hi Paddy, just have the one scart. Havent tried the coloured cables Thought I had to use a scart lead?! I'll try them this evening, thanks!

There is also another possibility, I damaged the scart socket on 1 on my tv's so I have my dvd player connected to a video over scart and the video is connected back to the tv as normal

Only catch with this one might be is that this dvd player is an old one that when I region hacked it, the hack also disabled macrovision which as some sort of copy protection which is supposed to stop dvd players working correctly if connected to a video recorder

It is possible that the Philips TV is expecting an RBG or possible even a Component Video signal over the SCART and your DVD is not outputting one.

Can you change what is output from the SCART in your DVD menu, under Video?

Alternatively, if you have more than one SCART input on the Plasma, try using differnent ones - they may not all accept the same signals (RGB, for example).

Check out this article for more info on Component Outputs, RGB, S-Video, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! Have no idea Mons. Bond! Im not very technical minded! so will print your reply out and show the other half although he not much better than me!!! Cheers!