DVD (Video) Recorder/Writer

PetPal

Although there are plenty of DVD players around we're looking for a DVD recorder that will record from video onto Disc (a "writer" is the technical name apparently). They're coming down in price all the time and we've waited for this to happen, but has anybody yet seen them for below 200 Euro?

Petpal, I havent been looking in the shops so can't help you in that way.
However, if you already have a VCR - which you possibly intend to retire when you get the DVD recorder - you can connect the VCR to the DVD Recorder and, if you have the patience, you can transfer the stuff you have on tape on to DVD. That way, you'll only need to buy a DVD Recorder (c €130 upwards) and not bother with the chunky, expensive Combo.

Even Argos has DVD recorders from €90.99 and DVD plushard disk based recorders from €180.99.
However, if you already have a VCR - which you possibly intend to retire when you get the DVD recorder - you can connect the VCR to the DVD Recorder and, if you have the patience, you can transfer the stuff you have on tape on to DVD.
The quality may not be great. Are you also sure that Macrovision copy protection is not an issue here?

There's a high class scart lead - DID have them c €30 - which will help make the conversion in good quality. (You can then use it to beef up the quality of your picture on your TV) The assumption here is that the tapes to be transferred would not be copyright bound.
I haven't done this myself but I know someone who did it, very successfully. They had also intended to buy the combo unit but in the end, saved much money and space.

does he mean that he wants to record from "video" as in vhs to dvd or just to record "video" to dvd as in Clubmans suggestion of a dvd only recorder.

The downside of having a DVD recorder as your DVD player is that other people in the house will leave their DVDs in the drive, so when your weekly timer attempts to record The Sopranos or similar, you get nuddin.

does he mean that he wants to record from "video" as in vhs to dvd or just to record "video" to dvd as in Clubmans suggestion of a dvd only recorder.

Yes, I may not have been quite clear. He has video tapes (hundreds). For storage space reasons he wants to record these onto Discs and keep the discs instead of the tapes. We currently have a combo video recorder and DVD player (not recorder). Actually I think that Ash's idea sounds like a really good solution. Thanks Ash.