DVD-RW Copying Problem

majee

A buddy of mine recorded something for me from the TV on a couple of DVD-RW discs (Sony 4.76 120min). I've tried to copy it to other blank media on my laptop with no sucess. I've tried DVD-R initially and then DVD-RW (both 4.76 120min media). Was using Sonic software on a Dell laptop.Does the copy disc have to absolutely match the original? (in small writing on the original DVD-RW disc it says 'extended 240min').

I'm pretty sure illegal practices are allowed to be discussed here.

You'll probably find your in breach of copyright.

I didn't think recording something from the TV was copyight abuse.Hence Video and DVD recorders?If it was on TV is it not free to everyone who has a TV?

Nobody would have questioned someone giving their VHS casette recording of an episode of "coronation street" before the days of DVDrw. Legal or not. How about sticking to the simple question of what the original poster was asking!

If the dvd writer you are using is ONLY compatible with DVD MINUS (or DASH for the obsessed) which is unlikely unless the writer is quite old, then use a DVD Plus R/RW disc. Otherwise, copy the data from the DVD-RW disc to the hard drive first and using Nero etc burn a DVD data disc (i.e no need to burn a DVD video using Video TS folder as it should work as a straight copy).

I'm sure someone else will explain better. Either way it is nothing to do with the capacity of the discs you are using.

thanks Podgerodge. The writer is on a laptop which is less than a year old so I don't think it's that. Have been using sonic as I don't have nero. After it read the dvd the first time I had a look for it on the hard drive and couldn't locate it. This may be down to my PC skills being hopeless!? I had a good search around and it didn't seem to be there. If it's not the discs then I need to look at the software I'm using maybe? BTW whats the difference between a DVD-R/RW and a DVD Plus R/RW disc?

Back