DVD recorders

T

tomo26890

Do those DVD recorders with hard disk drives in Argos that let you record, pause and rewind live TV work on Digital Tv's like Sky and Chorus?

Yes, probably, mostly. But unless the DVR comes with a gadget to remote control the Sky or UPC boxes, you'll need to set the timer on both the recorder and the decoder box. Also you're taking MPEG broadcasts and re-ecoding them to MPEG again, this degrades the quality.

For best results and ease of use, go with UPC's DVR if you're a Chorus/UPC customer and/or Sky+ if you're a Sky customer. These record the digital stream perfectly and playback is identical to live.

The main advantage of an 3rd party DVR would be that you could make discs for playback elsewhere, but expect to find that some broadcasts (especially Sky) will have 'no-recording' flags sent and you won't be able to record them.

Do those DVD recorders with hard disk drives in Argos that let you record, pause and rewind live TV work on Digital Tv's like Sky and Chorus?
Yes I have had one of these for acouple of years and they will do what u require.It will time shift if u are watching a program "through the recorder" if u know what I mean.
the big advantage of the Sky/UPC boxes that I see is that they are integrated with their EPG which makes setting up a recording easier.

Back