DVD Recorder - Can't 'chase playback'

R

rainyday

I'm getting to grips with my new Sony DVD recorder, but I'm wondering why I can't get the 'chase playback' function (watch the start of the program while continuing to record the remainder of the program) to work.

The manual states that I should get a menu option for 'Chase Playback' via the Tools menu while recording, but no such option appears. The footnote in the manual states that this option will not work if recording in HQ or HSP mode (which I'm not using) or if recording on a 1x speed DVD - My DVD states that it is a 1x - 4x DVD. Could this be my problem?

chase play

Check and see that you are recording in "VR Mode" cos I believe that's the only way you can chase play with dvd-r's - should be a setting before you start recording.

Rainyday

Rainyday, did you figure out the problem on this yet I am curious.

Re: Rainyday

Hi P&R - Finally managed to check this out this evening (before I saw your reminder, I promise). You didn't give me a full solution, but you certainly pointed me in the right direction. Though it isn't quite clear from the manual, you do need VR mode to do the 'chase playback'. Seperately, the manual seems to indicate that VR mode is only available when using a DVD-RW disc, which is not what I'm using. I'll try to pick up one of these at the weekend and see if it works.

vr

Yes
Meant to type DVD-RW, no a chance with DVD-R.

Should work fine for you.

Re: vr

Thanks Podge - I was actually using a DVD+RW, but it looks like I'll have to get the '-'.

Yep - It's working fine with the DVD-RW. I love the idea of being able to watch the start of the show while recording the end of the show. It's just a pity that

1) I had to buy a box of 10 dvd-rw's (€30) - Anyone want to buy the other 9?
2) The manual didn't make the requirement to use DVD-RW disks for this feature really clear - must be a fairly common problem.

For what it's worth it is possible to buy DVD+/-R[W] medial individually, for example, from [broken link removed].

dvd-rw

just got 25 dvd-rw's for equivalent of Eur25 from amazon.co.uk - before postage but i was getting other stuff as well.

rainyday - don't get rid of them that quick - treat them like video tapes, you always need a few spare!

Back