DVD Re-writer/recorder etc

Setanta12

Hi,

Thinking about buying one of these - obviously cost is a factor as is reliability. What should I look for ? Where can i get them ?

I would hope to record hours upon hours at different times but only setting this up at (say) the beginning of the month. I have a Smart-bill at the moment with SkySports package - is it possible to record these too ?

Ok, I went with a Philips 250Gb recorder from DID, reduced to e150 from around e300 this w/e.

I'm having some initial difficulty getting set up but want to be sure I/it can function properly i.e. record from a multitude of channels when i get it properly set up. I'm with Smart broadband/cable.

ANy thoughts/reassurances out there?

If it's the dvdr550h, ehm yeah know where you are coming from.

The parents bought one in DID the other week when they got a new tv and old school vcr for the existing vids.
Spent quite a bit of time setting up for them as they are a bit clueless in this.

They are on NTL analogue, so can't say about sky but it should be do-able. There is an option to go for cable (analogue) or digital.

Anyhow tried to auto search channels and got 3. Had to manually install.

Also found out that had to go from the lowest frequency to the highest. Setting name and desired prog no not the easiest. Had to go from the lowest as said, pick prog/channel no I wanted (they are used to a certain order so best to keep it same), then move to frequency and across and hit search, then hit save once found. Buttons to go back up and down would suddenly move off to a different frequency. So backed out to menu and then got to my prog no and then did the station name and hit save again.
Then repeated.

While doing all of this I took note of all the frequencies of each station. Found out that the best. Eventually got all 17 stations but took hours to do.

I'm fairly techy and never have issues other than if channels move and tv's get to old to cope but that was something else.

Now have other issue for some reason, when the parents hit the teletext button on the tv remote the dvd/h.drive recorder comes on. Not sure why exactly.
I've not had time really to study the manual enough for this part (I don't live with parents), but think it's out of that remit. Think it goes same at a certain time to but can't find a time setting on this.

Would be great if anyone have suggestions.

Set up is from memory ntl cable to vcr, cable out to tv, cable out from vcr to dvd recorder I think. Vcr and dvd are scarted together and I think either vcr or dvd is scarted to tv.
Followed instruction to incorporate vcr from manual anyhow.

Back